Friday, August 25, 2006
Margie Unplugged
"When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."

This doesn't mean that you are going the "wrong way."

Back in college a cool kid in my Sociology Class did his term paper on "How to Meet Chicks." He gathered his scientific research at shopping malls and grocery stores in our nearby area. His thesis;

"In America, the increase of a Chick encounter is significant raised if you shop or walk the mall in a clockwise direction. If you always walk to the left you are guaranteed to bump into more potential Chick material."

His paper, although strange in topic turned out to be a very good paper. He proved that in America, whether you drive or not - we are conditioned to fall to the right even when walking. It seems to be the path of least resistance and your chances of collision, alas; chances of bumping into someone are less.

In the popular '90's sitcom Seinfeld, George Costanza bursts in excited about his decision to doing and saying the opposite of what he normally does. His thoughts:

"Why did it all turn out like this for me? I had so much promise. I was personable, I was bright. Oh, maybe not academically speaking, but ... I was perceptive. I always know when someone's uncomfortable at a party. It became very clear to me sitting out there today, that every decision I've ever made, in my entire life, has been wrong. My life is the opposite of everything I want it to be. Every instinct I have, in every of life, be it something to wear, something to eat ... It's all been wrong.

Yes, I will do the opposite. I used to sit here and do nothing, and regret it for the rest of the day, so now I will do the opposite, and I will do something!"

It worked! Until the Wedding Invitation Episode, but nevertheless his life did change for the better. Last Friday in my first edition of Margie Unplugged, I mentioned how I packed up and left NJ after 12 years of marriage. After 30 years of life conditioning to follow the expectations of those around me. "Do the right thing, Marge" "Forgive him. Pray for Him. Don't Divorce."

Then there was the unspoken expectations, like not moving away from family who for the most part, all lived within 25 miles of one another for the past century. Living alone single was bad, driving to far places alone as a single woman was bad and in NJ - pumping your own gasoline is a carnal sin. It was fairly much made clear to me that if I ever did the "opposite" I would fail miserably. The sad part is I had believed that for 30 years.

There is a difference between following your conscience and following your heart. Our consciences are too logical, always throwing in facts and fearful "what ifs". It is our hearts that lead us in the correct way - not necessarily the wrong or right way.

Our hearts know when we are sad and they know what will make us happy. Our hearts even know the difference between responsibility and burden vs. freedom and entrapment. If ever there was a place to store "faith" it would be in our hearts.

Faith can't freely exist entrapped in logic. We've all been raised with logic including the *fact* that our solar system consisted of 9 planets. Yesterday, logic took Pluto away! Some say logic proves there is no God, so that means that someday logic may change up and say there is a God.

Hearts and Faith are unchangeable and immovable. You know in your heart what you dream about and wish for. It is where your passion and drive reside. It can never lead you the "wrong way". There is a bit of magic out there for everyone you just may have to walk to the left and do the opposite in order to "bump into it."

Walk the "other way" to increase your opportunities of picking up Chicks (or Prince Charmings), landing the career of your dreams, starting your own business doing what you love or running smack dab into a miracle.

You can go around quickly in circles like everyone else year after year - or step up on opportunity after opportunity on all the obstacles before you - by choosing the "other way."

Your way.

LIFETIME GUARANTEE: Listen to your heart. You'll get far I promise. Try it for the rest of 2006 FREE and if you don't start feeling your life change for the better - write in and let me know about it. I'll throw in a few New Year's resolutions for you and a whole year of 2007 to try again.
Stumble It! .......posted by Margaret @ 10:19 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At 12:49 AM, Blogger High Power Rocketry said…

    OMG I am going to link to you I swear!

     
  • At 2:09 AM, Blogger Deepak Gopi said…

    Yes you can.

     
  • At 10:01 AM, Blogger Carlos said…

    It's relatively easy to realize that you're probably not going to get another chance at living a mortal life, but it's not quite so easy to live your life like that.

    I've walked to the left on occasion, and have been pleasantly surprised at the results. Seems you have too :-)

     
  • At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The problem with listening to your heart arises when the other person involved doesn't listen to theirs...

     
  • At 10:23 AM, Blogger Margaret said…

    Alex - You're awesome!

    Deepak - I will work on that Video sometime this weekend. Gotta pound out a website first.

    Karlos: It is easier said than done at times. I know that now as a Wife and Mother. Occasional walking on the wild side does keep things moving up and interesting.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

About Me

Previous Issues

Archives

Having Issues?

Do you have issues?
If so, click here and
tell us about it!

Awards/Webrings

Bloggy Buds

Subscribe

Weblog Visitors

Affiliates



Lillian Vernon Online

TigerDirect

Template Doctored by:
Coastal Data Enterprises