Wednesday, August 23, 2006
Hurricane Evacuation Must Haves
We're heading into the peak of Hurricane season down here in the Southeast. Our hurricane survivor kit has been stocked since March. However, if we had to evacuate and was told I could only bring 13 things along for the ride, these are what I would choose.

1. All of my pets and I hope I can lump these into being considered as "1" item. I'll be fair and not include the fish and tank, for water is water after all and they'd have a better chance of surviving through a storm surge than through my reckless driving out of town.

2. The Kramer. Yes, you heard right the huge portrait of Kramer that I have hanging above my mantle. He's part of the family and I promised when I first spent the huge bucks to buy our Great Uncle Cozmo, that I would take him with me until the day I die.

3. The computer. Not the monitor, mouse or keyboard and at the very least my hard drive. All of our family photos are digitalized and stored on this as well as on CD. As well as many other items like MP3's and Videos.

5. My daughters security blanket. This is a must. There is no way when I get to where we are going that I'm going to have problems with her missing her "Dee."

6. My own security... um... Teddy bear. I have Fluffy since I was a baby and although it is the most beat up, matted and nastiest looking Teddy Bear on the face of this earth, he's coming with me.

7. My Venus Razor. No kidding, after I discovered this charm and after paying $17.99 for blade refills, it's coming with me.

8. My Bible. Sure I can get another Bible or use a Gideon's hidden away in a Hotel side table drawer - but my Bible is my history. It's marked up, highlighted, written on almost every page and it includes my written prayers - many which were answered and my entire journaled life since I received it after graduating HS in 1986.

9. The Portable DVD player and Katie's DVD's. The last time we evacuated due to Floyd, Katie wasn't even here - but to think of the horror of being stuck in traffic moving 2 miles an hour without such a pacifier would be awful.

10. My medications. Sure I say this now, but trust me I am always forgetting them even while going on vacation. I don't know why, for I take them like clockwork each and every morning - but it would sure save money not having my Dr. call in a script to where ever I'm staying.

11. Electronic Handheld Yahtzee Game. I have two, one for each bathroom and I can't "go" without it. The code speak for having to use the bathroom around here is, "I'm going to Yahtzee." I don't know what it is about it, no other reading material or game will do - it has to be Yahtzee. Maybe it has something to do with me rolling a few straights, full houses and four of a kinds before I can make that royal flush. Either way. Gotta have it.

12. GoGurt. Just don't ask and I promise not to tell.

13. My Husband. But only if I have to. He has 13 things of his own to haul away with us and well, frankly I ran out of room in my Sante Fe with all of my 12 other items.

Take care everyone and have a great Thursday!
Stumble It! .......posted by Margaret @ 5:39 PM  
42 Comments:
  • At 11:07 PM, Blogger Tug said…

    Good luck through the season - hopefully you won't need this!

     
  • At 11:10 PM, Blogger Barbara said…

    Oh, we love Kramer around here! That is a good one! Also, I'd have to have my computer, my Bible, and my cell phone. :)

    My Thursday 13 is up.

     
  • At 11:13 PM, Blogger Southern Girl said…

    I think lots of those things would be on my list, too, especially my cat, computer, Bible, and security...um, Mrs. Beasley. ;)

     
  • At 11:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    one good thing about living in the Pacific Northwest (besides the lack of humidity) is the only thing mother nature throws at us are the occasional Earthquake.

    Must be tough living in a hurricane zone. I don't think I'd want to. Best of luck this season!

    ~david

     
  • At 11:17 PM, Blogger Lisa said…

    Don't get washed away!! Take the petz, hard drive and Kramer, I agree! :)

    Very clever 13, Margie!

     
  • At 11:20 PM, Blogger Lindsay said…

    Oh I pray you will not have any hurrican nastiness come our way!!! Be super safe!

     
  • At 11:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, with next week being the anniversary of Katrina, I completely understand your list! I am SO praying that nothing develops (silly I know)I just don't want to go through it again. The one thing that I have to have is medication for my doggies.... to calm them! Happy TT!

     
  • At 12:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    That portrait of Kramer is a hoot!
    I agree 100% about the security blanket. I'd also couldn't go without my computer with all our pics and files.
    Great List.
    Happy Thursday!

     
  • At 12:07 AM, Blogger Kimmy said…

    Well, that was fun. Great list idea... although, I hope you never have to use it!
    Cosmo Kramer... he IS the best. And I love that you have that painting of him on your mantel! Too, too funny!
    Happy T13! My list is up!

     
  • At 12:27 AM, Blogger Deepak Gopi said…

    hi Margret
    I liked that portrait very much.
    Thanks for your comments in my post.
    I am doing all sorts of exercises relating to the eye so that I need not have to put on glasses in my entire life.

     
  • At 1:55 AM, Blogger crse said…

    I heart your kramer! What an awesome list idea!

     
  • At 4:59 AM, Blogger ela zawrat said…

    the portrait of Kramer cracks me up. Of course, he needs to go with you!
    So, this is this time of the year again… Hope that the big ones make a U-turn and go play in the ocean.

     
  • At 6:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good list...I just hope you never have to utilize it.

     
  • At 7:03 AM, Blogger Jodi said…

    I hope you won't have to pack up!
    My TT is up.

    Happy Thursday!

     
  • At 7:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OMG!!! I would NEVER admit this to anyone else....I too play Yahtzee while in my "office". It is a great game...mindless somewhat...allowing all your efforts to be made elsewhere! Sounds like you are all ready for an emergency to me!!%

     
  • At 7:19 AM, Blogger Tink said…

    I really hope you won't need this list, but it's a good thing to think about it.
    My TT is about my new kitten.

     
  • At 7:19 AM, Blogger Carmen said…

    Hopefully you wont' have to go anywhere, but definitely take the pets. And taking the Kramer cracks me up. ;)

     
  • At 7:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i can't believe you have kramer on your mantle! haha! you are one of a kind!

    i hope you won't have top evacuate.
    my list is up!

     
  • At 7:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Uncle Cosmo would be so proud...

     
  • At 7:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    haha about the Kramer! I hope you dont have to make a run for it though!

    Happy TT!

     
  • At 7:43 AM, Blogger Lisa said…

    We had The Kramer and I have no idea whatever happened to it. :( I think it got lost in one of our moves. I vow to buy it again for my husband. :)

     
  • At 7:53 AM, Blogger Just D said…

    awesome list! We too LOVE the yahtzee game...we have one in the car, one in the house, and we even left one at gramma's. Addicting! Now, go pack that car just in case...

     
  • At 7:59 AM, Blogger Mama Duck said…

    Ha ha ha, the Kramer, the razor ;). I never thought about what exactly I'd bring outside the computer, the baby, etc. Happy TT - ours is up!

     
  • At 8:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LOLOLOL Great list! I especially enjoyed the photo (the Kramer)...too funny!

     
  • At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am speechless at the thought of a giant portrait of Kramer. :)

     
  • At 9:01 AM, Blogger Shannon said…

    I had to reread the Kramer selection. You really have this? What a hoot!

     
  • At 9:45 AM, Blogger Changed by His Love said…

    LOL! That was awesome! I am going to have to show my husband that you have a Kramer portrait! That's awesome. Oh, I know exactly what you mean about the razor. And growing up in FL, I don't know how we survived with out playing a DVD in our car during hurricane trips.
    My Birthday TT is up!

     
  • At 10:26 AM, Blogger Ash said…

    Ok, Now I officially feel like the biggest idiot. I live in South Florida, and not only do I not have my hurricane kit ready, It never occurred to me to make one.
    Thanks:)

     
  • At 10:42 AM, Blogger Twisted Cinderella said…

    Great TT! Good luck with the season. I love the Kramer! LOL! I have lost all my pics on my computer twice due to hard drive failures. I now store them on my computer as well as in an on-line photoalbum. Mine TT is up too.

     
  • At 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yikes! Praying that the hurricane season won't amount to much. You all need a break in that whole area after last year. Whew! My TT is up!

     
  • At 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hope you don't have to pack up any of those, but it's a good list if you do have to. I'd take the computer too, but also tons of old photo albums, negatives and scrapbooks. You cracked me up about the Venus razor, I have one too, but I don't think I'd include that on my 13 things, hehehe :)

    Have a great day!

     
  • At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice list! I like the fact that your list contains both necessities & fun stuff (ie. Kramer, Yahtzee, etc.).

     
  • At 12:46 PM, Blogger Tigersan said…

    Please put #10 a bit higher in your list... at least before the DVDs ;)

     
  • At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great lists. I just hope that you never have to do use it.

     
  • At 1:07 PM, Blogger Virginia Revoir said…

    I agree with number 8. :)

     
  • At 3:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's nto something I've ever really thought about, we don't face that kind of disaster over here and tehrefore I guess are a little unprepared when even small ones come along.

     
  • At 4:39 PM, Blogger astrocoz said…

    Hilarious about Kramer and the Yahtzee! I love it!

    My TT is up!

     
  • At 4:51 PM, Blogger Raggedy said…

    I love Kramer!
    My TT is up
    Have a wonderful Thursday!

     
  • At 5:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I hope you won't need this list,
    but it is a GREAT one!

    Happy TT! (I LOVE the Kramer pic!)

     
  • At 9:20 PM, Blogger Julie said…

    I'm hoping that you and your family won't need to evacuate at all during hurricane season. Stay safe! P.S. The Kramer portrait is a riot!

     
  • At 4:04 AM, Blogger doctor chip said…

    that's why I'll never go back from the lappy. I have an 80 gig ext drive which can easily and quickly saved to disc, and replaced if need be -for not much money. fold & go, the lappy = the bomb. I'll never go back!

    B-)

    ------------

     
  • At 5:43 AM, Blogger Happy Mama to Three said…

    Having made the permanent evacuation from Mississippi to California. I thank God I no longer have to worry about hurricane warnings, evacuations, tornado warnings and putting my children under a mattress in the center of the house. Of course now we have the remote threat of an earthquake, but that hardly happens as often as hurricanes. Let's pray for a quiet year this year.

    Cindi
    My TT is up and running

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

About Me

Previous Issues

Archives

Having Issues?

Do you have issues?
If so, click here and
tell us about it!

Awards/Webrings

Bloggy Buds

Subscribe

Weblog Visitors

Affiliates



Lillian Vernon Online

TigerDirect

Template Doctored by:
Coastal Data Enterprises