Sunday, November 30, 2008
Black Friday Shopping Spree
NEW YORK — Police are reviewing surveillance videos of a post-Thanksgiving Black Friday shopper stampede that trampled a suburban Wal-Mart worker to death, but they acknowledge it may be difficult to bring criminal charges.

"It felt a little freakish," customer Ellie Berhun, 48, told the Daily News. "Some man lost his life because a VCR was on sale? Please. It's just too sad for words."

Yooo Hoo! Hello people. Listen up. Shopping for useless crap is not worth your life, the life of another, loss of a body part or getting injured over.

Really I never, ever understood nor joined in on the Black Friday Shopping madness at all. It's a day to be guaranteed to have the worst of shopping experiences all rolled into one. Did we forget too quickly how badly it sucks to drive all around the parking lot looking for a space?

Traffic is also a pain. Think about it, Black Friday is the day of all days where you're bound to find all kinds of women driving around in a frenzy trying to max out their credit cards. Now, now, now, no I'm not cutting up on women drivers per se - just the cellphone yapping, Stepford wives who'd just as soon scratch your eyes out with their fresh manicured pinky finger than to let anyone in front of them.

I never saw a crowd of guys acting so feverishly in Home Depot trying to land that Table Top Saw deal.

Then there is the lines and all of the waiting one has to do on a busy, crowded shopping day. Think about it folks, how much do you get paid an hour? If you're going to spend an entire day from 5am in the morning, I sure hope that you're at least saving an entire day's pay on the sales.

Speaking of sales, just because a thing is on sale doesn't necessarily mean that you need it. A gift? Um, same notion, just because it is cheap and on sale doesn't mean somebody else needs it or even wants it for that matter. If I unwrap a VCR on Christmas morning I'm gonna be angry. I specifically told Santa I wanted a DVR!!

A DVR like many electronics that can be bought online at places like TigerDirect.com at a price even cheaper than the best of Black Friday Sales could offer. Without the shopping, hassle or fingernails to the eye...

... or getting trampled to death.

Shipping is discounted this time of year. Overstock offers free shipping and Walmart flat rated at .89 cents. It costs that much just to get out of bed, get dressed and turn the ignition key on your car. Seriously, shopping online is the GREEN thing to do. No big store with lots of electricity, zillions of cars in the lot, people exhaling and emitting ozone destroying gases.

Simply you in your pajamas, on the computer surfing like you enjoy doing anyway, giving time and thought into gifts, finding great deals and sales and one UPS truck with a Sexy Santa dressed in Brown coming to your door within a weeks time.

Why would anyone even consider doing things the old fashioned way anymore? It's madness.
Stumble It! .......posted by Margaret @ 12:36 PM  
6 Comments:
  • At 5:00 AM, Blogger Me said…

    Wise words from a wise woman.

     
  • At 6:03 AM, Blogger Evil Transport Lady said…

    You said it! People are nuts AND stupid! I'm doing most shopping on-line, like I do every year:)

     
  • At 2:05 PM, Blogger Dr.John said…

    Never go out on black Friday.
    Our UPS Santa came today with four packages. That is the way to shop.

     
  • At 1:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I went shopping on Black Friday one time, never again. That was the day that I discovered normally sane people go nuts over nothing. Never again. But I will admit my husband and I went to Home Depot early Friday to buy some poinsettias for 99 cents a piece. The "crowd" was small and calm, no pushing and shoving.

     
  • At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree!
    I've never gone to a black friday sale... well because Canada doesn't have black fridays... thankfully.

    Online shopping is something I'd do way more of if I had a credit card.

    Speaking of which, I recently bought two shirts from this place:
    http://www.threadless.com

    The prints are all original and submitted by people like yo uand me. They have stuff for little kids too! And they have a promotion going on pretty much all the time around this time of year :)

     
  • At 8:34 PM, Blogger Deech said…

    I hate to shop! I go get what I need and then I leave....Good points all of them however.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

About Me

Previous Issues

Archives

Having Issues?

Do you have issues?
If so, click here and
tell us about it!

Awards/Webrings

Bloggy Buds

Subscribe

Weblog Visitors

Affiliates



Lillian Vernon Online

TigerDirect

Template Doctored by:
Coastal Data Enterprises