Wednesday, November 26, 2008
Pit Bull Terrier or Standard American Bulldog?
Two weeks ago I posted about our new family member Rose. Nobody has answered the "lost and found" ads or the posters we've put up regarding her. It seems, she was surely a victim of a drive by dump off and as of Monday she is officially and legally ours to keep if we want her.



I'll admit, I didn't even know what kind of breed she was. All that I knew was that she surely wasn't the type that I would go out of my way to get in a new pet. In fact, since our Beloved Basset Hound Bo had passed away this past summer we had thoughtfully studied and decided on getting a little black Scottie Dog. Just like the ones President George W. Bush own in Barney and Ms. Beasley.

The deal was, no more pets that poop bigger than we do. (Whoops!)

Immediately Rose was friendly, obedient, willing to please and a total love bug. In the past few weeks here she's adapted quite well. Allowing the cats to dominate her, boss her around and treat her like a big bean bag pet bed. She is house trained and knows all the regular doggy commands such as sit, lay down, roll over, gimme paw, chase the ball and stop.

Squirt can even walk her, with leash or without and she just gently romps beside her - always taking care and caution not to let her size beat anyone up who is smaller than her. Very intelligent and considerate as she even peeks around the corners before walking through a doorway so she doesn't startle a kitty.

Yesterday Jon went ahead and spent the money for a complete vet physical and check up. She's gotta clean bill of health. Physically and for her behavior and demeanor. The Vet loves her and joshed around with Jon saying she knew he'd be the perfect Daddy for her ever since he brought her in two weeks ago to check for a ID chip. She suggested that a dog like this wouldn't do well in a small apartment or left alone all day. That maybe her previous family lacked a dominant alpha-male or was able to meet her needs for a big backyard run and attention.

Anyhoo, I was reading the bill of clean health and paperwork today and the Vet, who should know better than anyone, categorized Rose as an American Pit Bull Terrier!!

What? No. I can't believe it and do not want to accept that. Can't, our home insurance will give us lots of grief if this indeed the fact. We searched online plenty of times over the last few weeks trying to determine her breed. Including excluding her from the Pit Bull Terrier department. We were certain that she was just a simple standard American Bull Dog.

She's bigger than a Pit and only a year old. Like American Bulldogs she has not learned to bark and hasn't at all. Her jaw isn't big and bulbous, her head and snout more boxy than terrier like. She lets go of balls, ropes and although likes tube sock tug a war - doesn't hang on. She's white with the characteristic black eye and lip liner of an American Bulldog. Although white, her skin underneath is spotted and freckled like a Dalmatian. In addition she is without the big Pit Bull smile, drool and loose lippage.

But what do I know?

Help guys and give me some advice. Pit Bull Terrier or Standard American Bulldog?



Stumble It! .......posted by Margaret @ 5:28 PM  
10 Comments:
  • At 6:47 PM, Blogger Woozie said…

    Looks a lot like my kenji benji, who is a pit bull. Some kind of mix maybe?

     
  • At 9:51 PM, Blogger krystyna said…

    I don't know answer for your question;
    but she is beautiful and she is happy with your family.

    I wish you Happy, Healthy Thanksgiving Holiday!

     
  • At 9:53 PM, Blogger krystyna said…

    Your daughter is Very Pretty!

     
  • At 6:45 AM, Blogger Evil Transport Lady said…

    I wouldn't worry if she IS a Pit Bull........it's the nasty training that makes those dogs mean.

    I have had German Shepards and they were all sweeties, they also get a bad rap. Just enjoy her, and relax:)

     
  • At 10:46 AM, Blogger Pamela H. said…

    I definately see Pit Bull in her; I currently own four and have had the breed for 13 yrs. If she is really tall (it's hard to tell by the pictures) I'd say she is probably a American Bulldog/Pit Bull mix.

    They are wonderful pets; it is the irresposnible owners that give them the bad reputation they have. However, they can be a handful at times. I know you said you had cats and that they are getting along. That could change because these breeds tend to have a high prey drive and they are terriers afterall and terriers were bred to eradicate vermin. As long as she is supervised around the cats and you teach her she is not allowed to chase or pounce on them you should have no problems. I recommed keeping her and the cats in separate areas of the house when no one is home.

    Please feel free to contact me if you have questions. I will be more than happy to answer them.

     
  • At 1:07 PM, Blogger Robyn Olson said…

    We have American Bulldog mix. He is a real lover. He does have a high prey drive, so we watch out for that. I would keep the dog & cat separated when no one is around. I hope you enjoy her. They LOVE their people. They are not meant to be without human interaction.

     
  • At 9:10 AM, Anonymous Joe said…

    I know this is ancient but I'd like to put your mind at rest. We adopted GiGi last April. She had been thrown from a car and fostered for a while. The lady fostering her couldn't get anyone to take her because "She looks like a Pit Bull". After exhaustive research we discovered she is an American Bulldog (Just like yours obviously is) & we couldn't be happier with her. She does, as was mentioned earlier, have a very high prey drive though. I would heed the other warning about the cat when you are out..

     
  • At 9:58 AM, Blogger Margaret said…

    Thanks Joe. It's been a year now and I can't imagine our home without Rosie. She is definitely a "man's dog" and requires the direction of an alpha-male. Jon had been away on business a few times through the year - and although she's tolerable to my commands, she's sluggish and not as keen to listen to me as much.

    But she is still an incredible lovebug and now loves to meet and greet anyone who comes by. (or next door for that matter.)

    Stray cats outside, squirrels, other dogs not in "our" pack make her a little protective but not dangerously so.

    We did get the vet to renounce the Pit Bull classification and put the American Standard Mix in. This way our insurance isn't so fussy about it.

    She's a good girl.

     
  • At 9:03 PM, Anonymous Jailis loves Caine said…

    I am so glad to have come across this post. I have an "American Bulldog" which for some reason everyone keeps telling me cannot be a bulldog but a pitbull mix instead, I have done so much research and even though they look very similar my dog has alll the characteristics of an american bulldog.

    He's only a year old now and is such a great dog. even though he is a boy and im female he listens to me and is a super intelligent dog.

    I love my baby Caine to death he is such a wonderful friend, couldn't picture myself without him

     
  • At 8:46 AM, Blogger JennyB75 said…

    You have my Abby's sister! :) Right down to the polka-dots on the skin. They have the same markings around the eyes except Abby's is dark brindle instead of orange like your Rosie. And rest assured, Abby has been determined to be a Standard American Bulldog (though not a full breed). Abby definitely listens to my husband better than me so when he's out of town on business things get interesting around the house, although nothing I can't handle.

    We've actually been sending her to doggy daycare three times a week so she can play, socialize, and exercise. She burns so much energy she's completely zonked at night!

    She is a great dog and so amazing with our 18-month old son (and four cats). We leave her alone with the cats all the time and she's not harmed a single hair on them. Bunnies outside on the other hand, those she loves to chase!! lol

    I'd love to share a photo with you. She and Rosie look so much alike!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

About Me

Previous Issues

Archives

Having Issues?

Do you have issues?
If so, click here and
tell us about it!

Awards/Webrings

Bloggy Buds

Subscribe

Weblog Visitors

Affiliates



Lillian Vernon Online

TigerDirect

Template Doctored by:
Coastal Data Enterprises