Sunday, August 31, 2008
Time. Now or Later?
I'm not big on cell phones. Not big on having a land-line either. In fact, I'm no longer compelled to jump out of my seat on a mad dash to answer it let alone to risk a head on collision while a call comes in while I'm driving.

Not so when I was younger. There was a time before the polyphonic sounds of a pop song jingle or the emergence of touch tone technology. A time when many tried dialing 867-5309 in hopes to reach Jenny for a good time.

We actually dialed a phone back then, patiently waiting for each whir to bounce back so we can pull up the next number. This ancient Seek 'n Say technology was once exciting as every ring rung could mean a call just for me!!

My problem now is that every call no matter how cleverly disguised is always for me! Someone out there needs something. My ear, my money, my attention and my time.

Shortly before he died at age 93, Mr. McCoy and I were watching a T-Mobile cell phone commercial about buying minutes and rolling-over unused minutes. He said to me, "I would willingly stand at street corners, hat in hand, asking passersby to drop their unused minutes into it."

How profound!

Like gold there is the escaping possibility that time cannot be made. Truth is, time is too quickly spent. Quite often time is spent earning money which also happens to be too easily spent. Such a discouraging concept of reality, yet beneath it's cold heavy shadows of woe - cowers a hope. A hope that time can be made if invested correctly.

Four decades ago A.W. Tozer wrote; "Modern civilization is so complex as to make the devotional life all but impossible." This was even before the time-saving, convenient technologies as Google, GPS, Blackberries and Cellphones were to rob us of our time.

Earlier this morning I was talking to a dear friend whom I haven't made the time to call for well over a year. A year wherein he has been suffering greatly by the tolls demanded by MS. What kind of lousy excuse can I give for that?

No, I didn't make the time but instead spent the time. Wastefully? Absolutely not for I sincerely squeezed every minute for what they were worth.

I invested time with my quickly growing daughter. With my successful, wonderful husband who I truly believe in. Not mountains, but crumbs of time scattered here and there for friends and far off loved ones. An unmeasurable amount of time with Mr. & Mrs. McCoy during the last year of their lives.

Such valued time spent yet invested so that it will last an eternity.

So go ahead. Give me a call. Make my cellphone vibrate and buzz across my desk as it jams to the tune of Babba O'Reilly by The Who. If I happen not to answer please leave a message on my voice mail system. I can't promise to make time, but will try to find the time to devote some time with you....

....later.

Labels:

Stumble It! .......posted by Margaret @ 1:05 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No one ever calls me. I get the odd text but that's about it. Modern technology didn't pass me by I just never really found a use for it.

     
  • At 8:32 PM, Blogger Dr.John said…

    In the long run the time we invest is worth more than the money we invest.

     
  • At 6:15 AM, Blogger Carlos said…

    Good post...I've been talking and thinking about my cell phone lately. My sister called a few days ago. I haven't called her back. A friend of mine called me two days ago, and I haven't called him back either.

    You'd think that someone (like me) who receives so few phone calls would be anxious to talk. I'll call back in time, but I'm not feeling it right now.

     
  • At 10:16 AM, Blogger Woozie said…

    For a teenager I don't use my phone very much. I don't call people and they don't call me, so at least I'll never run out of minutes. Text messaging though...used to hate it but it has grown on me, like a tumor. Or lupus.

     
  • At 11:12 AM, Blogger Lone Grey Squirrel said…

    I agree with you about the evil time-robbing telecommunication gadgets. I also applaud you for investing your time in eternity. I know these things but have been bad in implementing them.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

About Me

Previous Issues

Archives

Having Issues?

Do you have issues?
If so, click here and
tell us about it!

Awards/Webrings

Bloggy Buds

Subscribe

Weblog Visitors

Affiliates



Lillian Vernon Online

TigerDirect

Template Doctored by:
Coastal Data Enterprises