Monday, August 18, 2008
Stealing Staplers II
Aaahhh, the dreaded Monday is about to close its door and bring on Tuesday! It has been almost an entire ten years since I've held down a desk job. Granted, most of my life I've been working behind a desk from Hotel/Resort Management, Accounts Payable and Human Resources. Even Walmart yanked me from the simplicity of a cash register and stuffed me at a desk inside of a huge walk-in bank vault called the "cash office."

So much has changed within office politics. Even the names of job positions have changed to fancy titles adding suffixes such as Administrator or Director of some sort. There also seems to be an added position in the office setting, the "IT Guy"

Now granted, ten years ago I remember the computer guy who sat in some messy desk back in the storeroom. He stuck his head out every now and then to reboot our Windows for Workgroups 3.1 or to tell us to shut down our computers when a thunderstorm was rumbling outside. We rarely ever needed him unless the Xerox machine was jammed.

In this new job, the IT guy happens to be outsourced. He's the guy who programed the entire database, handles the website/traffic and every now and then he'll come on by to change over a computer or help someone out with user issues. In fact if it weren't for their "IT Guy" I wouldn't have this job right now. For their "IT" guy is my husband Jon.

So this morning, the phone rings. It's some lady asking about what kind of group tours do we offer. She asked to see the website. She acted like an interested customer and led me to believe the conversation was heading towards a potential trip sale. Then all of the sudden she reeled me in, trying to sell me website marketing and promising to get the company's site top spot in the search engines.

I responded, "I'm sorry but our IT guy has all of this covered."

She quickly blurted, "Oh IT guys don't know anything about this type of thing. They work with computers, we use computers as tools for marketing."

"I'm sorry ma'am," I broke in, "but I am married to the IT guy."

She laughs then continues her sales pitch on Google analytics, market analysis and of things of this nature. While I kept on trying to assure her that we had our marketing covered across the board. Hitting top spot in all the search engines within our market.

She stopped and asked, "and how are you sure of all of this?"

"I'm married to the IT guy!" I answered.

That's when she realized that I was serious. She figured that "married to the IT guy" was just a figure of speech. For almost all offices today and positions within depend and need their IT guys so dearly.

And here I am married to him for all reasons but!

Labels:

Stumble It! .......posted by Margaret @ 11:29 PM  
3 Comments:
  • At 3:30 AM, Blogger Me said…

    What are the chances??

    Stupid ass marketing morons! Next time, just keep asking her to repeat herself until she hangs up on you. Oh lawdy, you will lol.

     
  • At 6:48 PM, Blogger Dr.John said…

    It is good to have you back blogging on a more frequent basis. I missed your brand of humor. I wonder if that poor woman has recovered from her conversation with you. But it was funny.

     
  • At 12:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Glad to see you back. I love the IT guy story. I'll bet the lady had a dumb look on her face. Good smack down!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

About Me

Previous Issues

Archives

Having Issues?

Do you have issues?
If so, click here and
tell us about it!

Awards/Webrings

Bloggy Buds

Subscribe

Weblog Visitors

Affiliates



Lillian Vernon Online

TigerDirect

Template Doctored by:
Coastal Data Enterprises