Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Margie Unplugged: Sciatica
Hey I called out of work sick this afternoon! I hated it, but had no other choice. This morning while at my "other job" I somehow managed to contort, twist and hang up the ole' sciatica.

Spinal disc herniation was what they called it seven years ago after a speeding tour bus rear-ended me. Imagine if you will, smacking someone wearing false teeth really hard in the back of the head so their teeth would fly out. Same concept, only instead of teeth we're talking about the cushion like cartilage that is found in between each disc of your spinal column.

Three of mine are smacked out of place but aren't problematic on most days. However, all it can take is a simple bending over or turn to the side and wham!!! One of my discs are chalk board screeching against a major spinal column protected nerve for a period of time.

Only it's like a toothache propelled by a jet engine through my right hip, buttocks and inner thigh to my knee. Standing and walking is out of the question. Sitting is no fun either especially when driving and the right foot needs to be working the brake and gas pedals. Laying down brings relief and rest to the area. Nuprin helps the inflammation and you can pick almost any drug to manage the pain - but the throbbing pain will still exist.

Even a Chiropractor would help some if you have health insurance and can afford one.

I had not and could not, but could lay down with medication and ice packs to rest for the remainder of the day.

It's now 11pm and I feel much better now. I only feel bad about calling out of work.
Stumble It! .......posted by Margaret @ 11:08 PM  
3 Comments:
  • At 5:56 AM, Blogger Lone Grey Squirrel said…

    Margie,
    Ouch! I know the feeling. I had a similar episode in April and I could not lie down for 3 weeks. I wish you a speedy recovery. In the meantime I hope you get pampered by your family.

     
  • At 6:43 AM, Blogger Me said…

    Oh wow, so very well explained. I can almost feel it. And don't worry about calling in sick, you're your own # 1 priority.

     
  • At 11:58 AM, Blogger Deech said…

    I remember my dad having this when I was a kid. He would need to lay down and not move because it would really hurt. He finally had to go get operated on..His back was a mess.

    I sense your pain. Take the good Motrin, the one with the Codene in it.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

About Me

Previous Issues

Archives

Having Issues?

Do you have issues?
If so, click here and
tell us about it!

Awards/Webrings

Bloggy Buds

Subscribe

Weblog Visitors

Affiliates



Lillian Vernon Online

TigerDirect

Template Doctored by:
Coastal Data Enterprises