Saturday, August 30, 2008
1 2 3 & A B C
Let the countdown begin! This morning Jon, Katie and I went to her elementary school to complete her Kindergarten registration and to meet her new teacher. Katie's new school is adorable but amazingly bigger than I had expected. As parents we were very impressed. Kindergarten for us at 35 years ago wasn't anything like this!

Afterward we came home and I ran next door to pick up my paycheck. The money didn't last very long as I had to run out again to go shopping at the last minute. School uniforms, shoes, supplies and a spiffy new haircut were in order.

The school uniforms - I once grumbled about now are so darn cute! Peter pan blouses, pleated skirts, sweaters and knee socks are really quite preppy and stylin'. Her school colors are red and white, but they do allow navy blue also. All I had left to buy for her wardrobe were some sort of bows, headbands and barrettes for her....

...her...

....oh my gosh.. her hair!! That insane curly mop that has been driving me nuts since she first sprouted it at age one. I've tried everything folks and curly hair is a big job to keep up with. To top it off, she has a whole lot of it! Thick, curly and wild. Everyone else seems to love it - but me, who has to fight with it and comb it every night and morning for 45 minutes.

I finally broke and landed a half cocked, crazy but "hey this may work" idea!!

I happened to walk by a beauty salon that advertised out front $9.99 for a kid's cut. As I peeked in the window it was obvious that this shop catered to African-American clients. Well, I'll be - this was exactly what we needed. My child, afterall - owns a 'Fro and it was high time to weed whack it down to manageable levels.

I'm telling you - it was the BEST thing I ever have done. I learned stuff about caring for curly hair that I had no idea of knowing before today. Katie absolutely loved it. From the shampooing, to the primping, cutting and styling. We both left the place with her curls uniform, neat and bouncing all over the place and I now know how to keep it that way.

We're almost ready for Katie's first big day of school..... or am I?
Stumble It! .......posted by Margaret @ 1:13 AM  
5 Comments:
  • At 5:09 AM, Blogger Me said…

    I'm so happy for her. Shes a big girl now!

    Go get 'em squirt!

     
  • At 10:12 AM, Blogger Dr.John said…

    She is a big girl and she will grow up so fast.
    I'm glad you have her hair under control.One less thing to worry about.

     
  • At 3:23 PM, Blogger krystyna said…

    Hi Margaret!
    I remember your beautiful daughter as a little baby, I couldn't believe she is a big girl right now.
    I wish her all the best!
    God bless you both as a parents,
    Katie is a blessing treasure.

     
  • At 3:27 PM, Blogger krystyna said…

    Happy Labor Day!

    Ps
    Thank you Margaret for your sweet visit.
    I'll came back after vacation next week.
    My main site is here:

    http://longe-vity.blogspot.com/

    (click my name)

     
  • At 4:33 PM, Blogger Carlos said…

    Yay for squirt! First days of school are great, no matter how old they get.

    Glad you're blogging more regularly now :-)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

About Me

Previous Issues

Archives

Having Issues?

Do you have issues?
If so, click here and
tell us about it!

Awards/Webrings

Bloggy Buds

Subscribe

Weblog Visitors

Affiliates



Lillian Vernon Online

TigerDirect

Template Doctored by:
Coastal Data Enterprises