Monday, September 15, 2008
Stealing Staplers IV: I'm an Ass!
There, I said it. I'm an Ass. No I'm not a Democrat, those are Donkeys that used to Hee Haw all over Red State America back in the days when a Southern Democrat still existed. Well, ok - President Jimmy Carter is still alive but ain't nobody likes him anymore so he doesn't count.

I'm an ass more along the terms of being a domesticated beast of burden. I'm back to work doing the 9 to 5 shuffle and just finished up a difficult Monday. What started as a little work to help out and make a little chump change, grew to helping out answering some phone calls and catching the mail as the whooping crane flew by.

I'm not going to lie, I hated it with a passion. Phones and I do not get along very well and if there is any chance of a telemarketer or bill collector rearing their ugly heads - I would rather not be there.

Except, I kind of have to be there. A promise, a friend, a business partner. Roll these things together and watch the ole' codependency issues come flooding back. Leaving me in much need of therapy.

So this morning before work - it was therapy that I sought via Dr. Google by typing, "Positive attitude at shitty job". I found all sorts of therapeutic and well meaning advice. Like if you have a good attitude about a shitty job it makes a shitty job just that much easier.

Better yet, I found some great employment opportunities such as a position for an Information Administrator needed for the second shit. Another job offering stated that I must be willing to work 10 hours per shit and complete end of shit summaries.

Ahhh, but wait! What's this? If you hate your job than consider being an Ass!!

Well, I'll be? So I click the link.

It ends up being a story about Donkeys and how they have worked beside humans for centuries. In some historical cultures the ass is so valued it was often used as a sacrifice to the Wine Gods. They were once prized as symbols of humility, gentleness, and peace. Christopher Columbus brought the first four asses to North America and now look what happened!!

But then it went on. It spoke about the Donkey that Jesus rode into Jerusalem on that Palm Sunday. Comparing that Donkey to a Christian and how they should be humble in their work and carry Christ with them where ever they may go.

Guess that hit me pretty hard. So what if codependency means I'm addicted to caring for others. That by continuing to sacrifice my time and efforts brings returns of respect, loyalty, friendship and honor.

It was at this moment of realization this morning when I shut my laptop, looked towards my husband and said, "I'm an Ass."

...and with that got up, walked out the door and went to work with a more pleasant, yet humble attitude.

Labels:

Stumble It! .......posted by Margaret @ 10:00 PM  
3 Comments:
  • At 11:20 PM, Blogger Woozie said…

    "I'm an Ass" should be on a t-shirt.

     
  • At 11:01 AM, Blogger Deech said…

    I will tell you that you will always be a winner in my book...if you choose to substitute the word Ass for it...go ahead. It all means the same to me...

    Just make it do what it do babe!

     
  • At 5:48 PM, Blogger Dr.John said…

    The world needs more Asses like you.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

About Me

Previous Issues

Archives

Having Issues?

Do you have issues?
If so, click here and
tell us about it!

Awards/Webrings

Bloggy Buds

Subscribe

Weblog Visitors

Affiliates



Lillian Vernon Online

TigerDirect

Template Doctored by:
Coastal Data Enterprises