Wednesday, September 20, 2006
Expressions
I love art. From photography, sculpture, paintings and music. Even the abstract crayola drawings stuck by colorful ABC magnets on my fridge door inspire me. The latest our daughter had drawn depicts me as thin. Quite a contrast from her Mommy drawing a few weeks ago when I looked like the Staypuff Marshmellow Man.

Last week on the evening before my birthday, one of my Bloggy Buds Ela painted a magnificent expression that totally defined how I look and feel on the inside. Her description says so much in itself, "It turned out a little different that I thought. The woman was supposed to be torn between the two horses, but instead, she looks like she is switching from one horse to another. I love how in the process of painting things change, revealing something unexpected... "

As many of you know September 11th is my birthday and my reflection on this day for the past five years has been a bit... well... strange. September 11th is also my husband's birthday, we had met only because of this shared birthday. September 11th was my fairy-tale of love and happily ever after. That was until we both woke up that morning in 2001 and everything changed - right before our very eyes.

After the state of shock wore off my state of mind collapsed that day. Yeah, you know... I took this personally. It was hard not to take so personally when this day had revealed so much symbolism. Before he was my husband Gon was first my Birthday Twin. Then two Twin Towers crumble all to hell that morning.

We both knew, had an awakening so to say - that a switch had been cut off and another turned on from that very moment. Our fears were in what that other switch was capable of doing. Ela expressed in her painting exactly what I've been feeling or rather we have been feeling for the past five years.

I mentioned symbolism and where else can we find symbolism so vivid as in the Book of Revelations. Hey, this is a revelation of sorts is it not? For example the Red Horse (Rev 6:4) "And there went out another horse that was red and power was given to him sat thereon to take peace from the earth and that they should kill one another: and there was given unto him a great sword."

Then comes a white horse (Rev 6:2 and 19:11) "...white horse and he that sat on him had a bow, and a crown.. and he went forth conquering and to conquer. (19:11) ...he was called Faithful and True and in righteousness he doeth judge and make war."

This painting shows a woman torn in so many aspects of symbolism. Our country America and Lady Liberty torn politically on which horse of war to ride upon. As if there will be a battle ahead no matter which horse we choose. Then personally, my own battles within - jumping off the war wagon of hurts and battlescars of my own past. Leaving it behind to face even more battles but armed and riding on a horse with a heart that is faithful and true.

The switch was made and I now sit upon a horse that is valiant, faithful and true. Although there are battles ahead I do feel at peace and secure riding on the back of this new ride. Much has changed. Many cannot be taken back. Much has been lost... yet, I still have left to wonder what is there to conquer and what is there to gain. I feel like an infant in a whole new world.
Stumble It! .......posted by Margaret @ 12:50 PM  
1 Comments:
  • At 7:21 PM, Blogger ela zawrat said…

    wow, Margaret, that's amazing writing and observations! I'm soooooo honored that you've writen about my painting in such way!!!
    Ela

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

About Me

Previous Issues

Archives

Having Issues?

Do you have issues?
If so, click here and
tell us about it!

Awards/Webrings

Bloggy Buds

Subscribe

Weblog Visitors

Affiliates



Lillian Vernon Online

TigerDirect

Template Doctored by:
Coastal Data Enterprises