Sunday, December 02, 2007
On the 24th Day 'til Christmas Home Sweet Home Means To Me...
It's not a secret that for the last five years our home has been a mobile home. During this time I was a bit disillusioned that we were safe from bad guys and burglars. Little did I know it only took a spam key and a can opener to break into the place.

I remember clearly when my new husband and I landed pregnant four months into our honeymoon. We needed to build a nest yet at the same time have an economical plan for he had just settled into his first year of college.

We opted to keep things humble and simple, not having a huge mortgage over our heads would mean less stress. If things went well, we could save our money - if not, we wouldn't need much money to keep all the bells and whistles going.

Buried under a mountain of Kudzu, weeds and waist high grass we found this charming little 2 bedroom/2 bath, 12' by 60', 1967 mobile home pictured in the above right. It was the same age as we were and seemingly laid to pasture, neglected and most importantly cheap.

Cool things about the older style mobile homes, they are made out of real materials and it doesn't take much to scrub down, paint up and make a comfortable living quarters. It didn't take long to turn our home into a cute, comfortable and humble little oasis of retreat.

This morning as I look around and enjoy all the hard work this past week on Christmas decorations, I humbly sit back as I realize this may be the last Christmas we'll spend here in this tiny little home.

This afternoon we're all going out to check out our potential new home! I highly suspect it will be buried under mountains of kudzu, brush and waist high grass also. Our first real bonafide house, with office and warehouse in the back.

We have yet to see it, but we've been dreaming about the potentials for the last two days and we're all bubbling over with excitement.

Yet at the same time, I sit here this morning wondering that by this time next year - who will be living here? Will this home serve up as sweet for them - as it has for us the past five years?

Not just wondering, but dreaming and hoping, a new young family with a gorgeous little girl - can make memories and enjoy this time of their lives. Here in this humble home sweet home.

I hope so.

Labels:

Stumble It! .......posted by Margaret @ 9:38 AM  
6 Comments:
  • At 2:18 PM, Blogger Judy said…

    Fingers crossed as you go look at your new place. If we get over to Savannah over the holidays, I'm gonna give you a call... email me, 'kay?

     
  • At 10:00 PM, Blogger Jayne d'Arcy said…

    I'm sure the new house will be home in time. Good luck with the future.

     
  • At 11:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is an exciting time for you. After we made the bids etc we had so much time just waiting to get in the house. I spent the time looking at my new home on line.

     
  • At 12:53 AM, Blogger Lone Grey Squirrel said…

    Congrats. May your new house be also a home to make wonderful memories for you and your family.

     
  • At 7:47 PM, Blogger Dr.John said…

    What makes a home is the family not the building. We have less building now than we had three years ago but because its closer to family it is more home.

     
  • At 5:15 AM, Blogger Me said…

    An awesome transistion, though I would live in either without regret. I do hope to visit your park someday. You can hold me to that :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

About Me

Previous Issues

Archives

Having Issues?

Do you have issues?
If so, click here and
tell us about it!

Awards/Webrings

Bloggy Buds

Subscribe

Weblog Visitors

Affiliates



Lillian Vernon Online

TigerDirect

Template Doctored by:
Coastal Data Enterprises