Thursday, November 29, 2007
Rockefeller Center's Tree Goes Green
"This year, all the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree lights are green. The holiday display, lit at a Wednesday night ceremony, still includes a rainbow of colors. But this year the 84-foot-tall Norway spruce is sporting energy-saving bulbs, and an array of solar panels atop 45 Rockefeller Plaza will help power them."

Going green? They still chopped down a tree! Now, now - it's not that I'm a tree hugging hippie or anything of that sort but I do feel trees serve us better if alive and rooted in the ground.

They emit oxygen, provide shade, break wind... or is that wind breaking? Either way, they do a lot of stuff that we don't realize until they are gone. Then, when they do die they provide lumber for our houses and wood for warmth. Many even provide food such as the huge walnut tree next door that had slapped me in the forehead with a pair of it's nuts just last weekend. About knocked me out by golly.

Rockefeller Center, why don't they just plant a tree that can live there all year round and be decorated at any given whim for any holiday or season? Perhaps create a tree out of recyclable plastics or any number of our byproducts. If they truly want to be Eco-friendly and Green - they need to do that.

Now, I'm working on going green. See the stuff can be expensive such as these twinkling LED lights from Harriet Carter. I've bought 2 sets of these and must say, they work wonderfully. 8 hours carries the lights through past midnight here.

In fact, what a wonderful way to employ some track lighting in my new Romanesque style living room. (Still in progress) All I have to do is stick that solar thingamabob by the window and wallah - free lights for the night.

Certainly, I must emphasis that I am not a tree hugger. Just a cheap, poor person who would like nothing more than to screw over the electric and gas companies.

Labels:

Stumble It! .......posted by Margaret @ 10:17 AM  
5 Comments:
  • At 3:04 PM, Blogger -atomik kitten said…

    You are my kind of girl.

     
  • At 3:40 PM, Blogger Avery said…

    Actually, they're saying that when the tree comes down, the wood will be used to build Habitat for Hummanity homes, so they're doing their best.

    That said, no one mentions the HUNDREDS of spotlights lighting up the tree, the giant jumbotrons all over Rockefeller Center so people can watch the tree lighting, all the TV cameras, teleprompters, etc. they used, etc. in order to put on this tree lighting party.

    If they really wanted to "go green," they wouldn't do anything at all.

    That said, it was sure as heck worth it! My office overlooks the tree, and we had a tree lighting party last night, where we watched the whole show.

    Here's a complete photoblog of the tree arriving, being prepared and being lit:

    http://www.familygreenberg.com/photos_rock_center_tree.htm

    Enjoy...

     
  • At 3:47 PM, Blogger Deech said…

    Margie,

    I am so with you on screwing the electric and gas companies! You go!

    Flyinfox_SATX

     
  • At 11:53 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Let's not forget that those trees are cut down weeks before the become "Christmas trees". I saw the New York tree when I was there my junior year in high school. While it is beautiful, I think you have a good idea of growing one there.Wonder why they can't? I have not had a "real" tree in more than 30 years. The last couple of years our tree was prelit which saved some time.Between all the lights and other stuff we used to have in our house the electric company was drooling as my meter spun wildly. Don't think we will be able to put up a tree this year. At least I dont want to, too crowded. I am very interested in the LED lights. Maybe next time I will get one. When ever that will be.

     
  • At 8:27 AM, Blogger Dr.John said…

    You scared me there for a moment Margaret. I thought you had become a tree hugger.It is good to know your just out to get the electric company.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

About Me

Previous Issues

Archives

Having Issues?

Do you have issues?
If so, click here and
tell us about it!

Awards/Webrings

Bloggy Buds

Subscribe

Weblog Visitors

Affiliates



Lillian Vernon Online

TigerDirect

Template Doctored by:
Coastal Data Enterprises