Wednesday, March 07, 2007
Do You Have Issues?: Messy Drawers
I can't help but feel I will remain a drug addict the rest of my life, even during my sober moments. (I've been clean for a little while now)

See, the thing is, I feel like I'm just living to pass time until I pick my addiction back up. Fighting it doesn't last very long. I usually spend three to six months of the year stoned out of my mind and I'm comfortable with that, though everyone around me feels 'it is a waste of my time, mind and money'.

At the end of the day I do want to evolve but at the same time I wouldn't mind just laying on the couch all day feeding my senses with a pipe.

What are your thoughts on the matter?


Live responsibly no matter what your vices are. I'm using the word vice lightly and not so much in the sense that what has a grip on you is immoral or bad, but that it has a grip on you. You could be addicted to chocolate, sex or even sitting in front of your computer a bit too much - neither thing is bad, but it can be bad for you if the grip causes you to neglect your responsibilities and yourself.

Let us just say that you really, really love chocolate. There is nothing wrong with chocolate, there is nothing wrong with you for loving it. But be honest with yourself, if not taken in moderation - over time will cost you money, toothaches, frustrations and degrade your health and abilities. You would be far better off keeping chocolate as a treat not as a sustainable daily diet or costly routine.

Now I happen to know you a bit, and happen to know that you are young, single and just beginning to find your place, your way and approach in life. Many of us have been there including myself. Only you can determine what living responsibly means to you.

I can only suggest that you set limits on the things that you enjoy that can ultimately cause you harm if left unmoderated. A treat of an alcoholic drink now and then is one thing, but to be stoned out of your mind is quite another. You can't appreciate the treat if you are drowning in it day and night. Stay in control, you are the one that wants to absorb the treat - don't let the treat absorb you.

Identify the triggers that make you want to fire up the pipe. Maybe you're bored. Maybe you're lonely. Maybe you hate your job or hate having no money at the end of the week. You'll soon have a nice long list before you on what you don't want to be. End that list by slapping "not wanting to be a drug addict" at the end.

Flip that paper around and write down the stuff you do want. From a different career, to being married in a stable and trusting relationship, or maybe you want to be Mayor of your town someday. Then from there start investing your time, mind and money on pursuing these things. Take a class and learn something new. Meet someone new. Try something new. Join a Political club or your local Toastmasters or Free Masons to surround yourself with wise, goal oriented and responsible individuals. Get your high on life and through pride and accomplishments. One day and one accomplishment at a time.

For many reasons I often tell people to go and clean and organize their sock and underwear drawer. Sounds silly but it isn't. You go into this drawer two or three times a day. For weeks after organizing it you'll see, enjoy and reap the benefits of just 20 minutes of effort and time. When you put away your laundry you'll actually want to maintain this nice drawer up and not let it fall behind and get tossed again. Being Master of your Domain just by being in control of your sock drawer can move mountains in other parts of your life.

So for now, after you are finished reading this go clean and organize your sock and underwear drawer. While you're at it - toss your pipe in there towards the back. Let the pipe suffer by putting it in its place - in order to tell it who is in charge of your life. Then, well - go out and live! Go live responsibly and get some fun on. You can do it, I know you can!

(Do you have issues? If so write in and vent here! All personal information is kept confidential and questions may be edited to exclude identifiable information. )

Labels:

Stumble It! .......posted by Margaret @ 12:11 PM  
4 Comments:
  • At 7:55 PM, Blogger Dr.John said…

    First I saw "being married in a stable" and thought that's a new idea. There can't be too many stables left to get married in. Then I saw it was part of a longer sentence. Here I thought it was some new therapy.
    I read somewhere that people with neat sock drawers are twice as likely to be addicted as people with messy ones. It has something to do with being compulsive.

     
  • At 9:06 PM, Blogger Margaret said…

    Getting married in a stable sounds like an interesting twist. =O)

    I don't know, compulsive isn't such a bad thing. As long as we don't take so much time obsessing over our sock drawers that we miss out on doing something else.

    Limits and moderation in everything works for me.

     
  • At 3:41 AM, Blogger Deepak Gopi said…

    I think I amaddicted to movies,but i dont want to get rid of that addiction. To enjoy thelife and makeit move forward little bit of addiction for some thing is essential. Dont you think so?
    good day:)

     
  • At 5:33 AM, Blogger Me said…

    :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

About Me

Previous Issues

Archives

Having Issues?

Do you have issues?
If so, click here and
tell us about it!

Awards/Webrings

Bloggy Buds

Subscribe

Weblog Visitors

Affiliates



Lillian Vernon Online

TigerDirect

Template Doctored by:
Coastal Data Enterprises