Wednesday, January 03, 2007
Official Held in Saddam Hanging Video
The person believed to have recorded Saddam Hussein's execution on a cell phone camera was arrested Wednesday. Iraqi state television broadcast an official video of Saturday's hanging, which had no audio and never showed Saddam's actual death. But the leaked cell phone video showed the deposed leader being taunted in his final moments, with witnesses shouting "Go to hell!" before he dropped through the gallows floor and died.

Gosh, I hate blogging about political matters but here I go. What's this? Iraqi State Television edits, releases and broadcasts a clean little video. Removing the audio and zooming in to make it appear that Saddam faced Justice in a neat and orderly manner. Then hours later an unedited cellphone version appears with sound that shows that it was not so neat and orderly after all. Showing that America handed Saddam over to a barbaric taunting lynch mob, or rather those who are in charge and leading the country now.

Now they go and arrest the guy who recorded and released the video. Looks like Iraq doesn't employ the rights of freedom of press or speech. Nor does it want to base the country's new beginnings on evident truths. The entire country is one big disaster in my opinion. If this fact wasn't clear before it is crystal clear now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the death penalty at all. In fact I feel that Saddam was afforded a less traumatic death than he gave to many of his victims. However I do feel that his death now will only escalate tensions and sectarian violence in Iraq. A part of me actually distrusts those Iraqi's in power now just as much as I distrusted Saddam and his administration.

Does President Bush really think that when all is said and done, Iraq will be a good little country and will prove to be America's allies and friend? That they will be thankful and full of praise to America for liberating them? He's off his rocker or something because I have a grave feeling it isn't going to go down like that at all.

Some of the last words Saddam heard, according to the leaked cell phone video, were a chant of "Muqtada, Muqtada, Muqtada," a reference to Muqtada al-Sadr, the radical anti-American Shiite cleric. Notice it wasn't a reference to any Anti-American Sunni for I have a feeling the only Sunni invited to the party was Saddam Hussein himself. Many Sunni cities were under a militant imposed curfew at this time to encourage silence and discourage violence.

As a Republican I have come to the decision that this is a course I really don't want to stay on. Let alone send 20,000 more honorable men and women of the US armed forces risking their lives to continue. If we cut and run what is the worse that is going to happen? A bunch of anti-American barbaric terrorists will rule over Iraq? Well, heck that is what is evidently happening anyway. The only perfect scenario for America would be to take Iraq over and turn it into America's 51st state.

If we're not going to do this, then let's cut and run and let them sort themselves out. I no longer want my tax dollars and American lives fighting to support a growing anti-American government that is just as distrustful, evil, twisted and barbaric as it was under the reign of Saddam Hussein.

(Stepping down off my soapbox and I'm sorry if y'all hate me now.)
Stumble It! .......posted by Margaret @ 12:13 PM  
9 Comments:
  • At 5:11 PM, Blogger -atomik kitten said…

    Hate? Absolutely not. Matter of fact Gee Dubbya Bush sent me screaming with my head on fire away from my republican roots. I am now a registered independent.

    Our youth minister leaves this week for Iraq. He has a two year old daughter and his wife is expecting a baby in the late spring. Of course he's supposed to go to a green zone but I don't think there will be any such thing, now.

    I'm glad Hussein is dead, but I know it's going to be pinned (the taunting) on we Americans...Lord forbid the Iraqi government / people take any responsibility for their own childish behavior.

     
  • At 6:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't know why anyone would want to video tape a hanging. Don't the people in Iraq get Seinfeld or something better to watch..

     
  • At 9:26 PM, Blogger Dr.John said…

    How high ois that soapbox? where did you find one that isn't made of cardboard that won't hold up under a good speach. I'm sure nobody will hate you for saying what lots of people are thinking.

     
  • At 11:45 PM, Blogger Butchie said…

    I can't wait for the gag real to come out!

     
  • At 5:48 AM, Blogger Carlos said…

    Good points Margie!

     
  • At 6:34 AM, Blogger Deepak Gopi said…

    He is the real citizen journalist

     
  • At 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you know, we don't have total freedom either. if an american prison guard took unauthorized video of an execution and released it, s/he would be arrested too. we also get edited versions of disturbing video as well.

    i read that the hecklers had snuck into the execution and were not suposed to be there. as for cut and run, has it really taken this long to sway you?

    on a lighter note, you're a republican and admitting it??? i am just teasing! i an neither nor, lol!

     
  • At 10:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is one of those times that everyone has an opinion. The situation illustrates the balance of being: St Peter and Lucifer each greeted one of their favorite people to their respective afterlives. Talk about antithesis - Gerald Ford and Sadam Hussein.
    Thanks for stopping by my new blog and leaving a comment!

     
  • At 9:57 PM, Blogger Jo said…

    I never thought we should have gone into Iraq in the first place. But once we were there, I didn't think we could just "cut and run" because the country would disintegrate into chaos. Well, guess what... it already has. I just feel so sorry for the Iraqi people who want to just live in peace. I think that Bush is waaaayyyy in over his head on this. But I really believe that even if 9/11 had not happened, we would have gone into Iraq anyway. Because that's what Cheney and his gang wanted to do. Okay, you've gotten me started.... now I'm going to have to go blog about it!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

About Me

Previous Issues

Archives

Having Issues?

Do you have issues?
If so, click here and
tell us about it!

Awards/Webrings

Bloggy Buds

Subscribe

Weblog Visitors

Affiliates



Lillian Vernon Online

TigerDirect

Template Doctored by:
Coastal Data Enterprises