Saturday, January 06, 2007
Butchering the Beatles
Like many people, my taste in music varies depending on my mood. Sometimes the mood calls for the perfect country & western song. You know, anything at all about Mama, or Trains, or Trucks, or Prison or Getting Drunk.

While cleaning house a bit of Club Music with a touch of New Wave usually does the trick and gets me motivated. Sometimes the mood hits that puts me on a Wayback machine and I'm not talking 50's hip-hop. Nope, we're talking crooning to the tunes of Frankie Sinatra, Rosemary Clooney and swaying to Johnny Mercer.

Then there are times that call for a rocking, jamming and adrenaline pumping head-banging session. Not just a little chicken head bobbing to the beat kind of thing either. I'm talking about shaking my head wildly and moshing on the floor with the Basset hounds. The heavy rock and metal type of music that should display warning labels on the CD covers concerning it's impairing effect while driving in traffic. The kind of music that is sure to land you a speeding ticket or worse, like driving into a ditch during a screaming metal guitar riff.

Today I'm going to touch on cover songs and albums. I rarely tread down this path unless the song was such a dud of a song originally and a new band manages to rock it to pieces. Then there are certain bands and artists that I am religiously devoted to in their original form, such as The Beatles for instance.

However, last night during a Friday night jam session I happened upon this recently released Cover Album called, "Butchering the Beatles." I was astonished and blown off my seat in pure head-banging joy. As a Beatles fan the songs remained faithful but as for the metal fan in me, the solo sections displayed incredible talent. From Alice Cooper, Steve Vai, Duff McKagen and Mikkey Dee. Yngwie Malmsteem on the guitar brings the classic "Magical Mystery Tour" to heights I've never deemed imaginable.

May I suggest for anyone interested to clear a space on your living room floor, secure and fasten down all potential flying objects such as knick-knacks or family heirlooms. Crank up the volume and download these must-have, astonishing, incredible and rocking tracks:

"Hey Bulldog" by Alice Cooper
"Hey Jude" by Doug Pinnick
"Magical Mystery Tour" featuring Yngwie Malmsteen
"Daytripper" by Kip Winger
"Drive My Car" by Jeff Scott
Stumble It! .......posted by Margaret @ 12:16 PM  
7 Comments:
  • At 5:26 PM, Blogger Dr.John said…

    Too many knick knacks so I'll pass on this one.

     
  • At 8:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Margie!
    I like searching through your blog. I always find something interesting. Thanks. My taste in music varies depending on my mood too.
    Have a great Sunday!

     
  • At 1:25 PM, Blogger Carlos said…

    I'd have to listen to the full songs to appreciate them. The one that I did like was "Drive My Car."

     
  • At 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've been loving this one for a few months now -- also, just realized they've got a myspace page up for the project with some blog postings on the making of the album.

    www.myspace.com/butcheringthebeatles

     
  • At 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've been loving this one for a few months now -- also, just realized they've got a myspace page up for the project with some blog postings on the making of the album.

    www.myspace.com/butcheringthebeatles

     
  • At 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've been loving this one for a few months now -- also, just realized they've got a myspace page up for the project with some blog postings on the making of the album.

    www.myspace.com/butcheringthebeatles

     
  • At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    gah! sorry for the multiple posts!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

About Me

Previous Issues

Archives

Having Issues?

Do you have issues?
If so, click here and
tell us about it!

Awards/Webrings

Bloggy Buds

Subscribe

Weblog Visitors

Affiliates



Lillian Vernon Online

TigerDirect

Template Doctored by:
Coastal Data Enterprises