Friday, January 05, 2007
Redneck Tinfoil Chef: Ministrone Soup
Welcome to the new weekly feature "Redneck Tinfoil Chef " where I'd like to feature healthy recipes for square meals on meager pockets. With the Husband in his final year of college we've found the old cliche' that a "penny saved is a penny earned", wise and welcomed advice.

This is a tried and true recipe that I had made up quite a few years ago. I'm making it again today despite the warm weather and it is not only very tasty and healthy - but it is one of the easiest recipes that I've ever thrown together.

1 - 1 lb. (Approx) bag of frozen mixed vegetables for soup.
1 - 15 oz. can of Kidney Beans. (drain & rinse)
1 - 15 oz. can of Tomato Sauce.
1 - 15 oz. can of lo-sodium beef broth
2 - 15 oz. cans of water
1/2 cup of uncooked elbow noodles. (or ABC pasta)
1 - 8 oz. bag of sliced pepperoni.


Literally just toss frozen vegetables, can of rinsed kidney beans, can of tomato sauce, beef broth and 2 cans of water into crock-pot set on high. After 1 hour toss in 1/2 cup of uncooked elbow noodles. After another hour toss in pepperonis. I like to slice them in half into semi circles. Stir soup well and serve anytime after 1/2 hour.

There is no need to add salt or spices for the Pepperoni is already loaded down with them and will distribute the flavor throughout the soup while cooking. Sometimes if we are battling winter colds I will add a chopped onion and extra garlic to the soup. Great with slices of warmed French bread or if you'd rather - Cheddar Cheese Flavored Goldfish Crackers adds a delightful touch. (According to my 4 year old daughter and grown up husband.)

Freezes well and yields up to 12 hearty servings for lunches or supper.

Total Cost (excluding bread or crackers) $5.08. That's .42 cents per person!
Stumble It! .......posted by Margaret @ 3:44 PM  
4 Comments:
  • At 4:55 PM, Blogger Dr.John said…

    I'm not fond of soup but the price is right.

     
  • At 6:09 PM, Blogger Judy said…

    Sounds yummy. I'm always looking for new recipes I can throw in the crockpot... and soup is great when it's cold outside.

     
  • At 8:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    C and I would like it, but my kids are so picky!!!

    thanks for the tip.

     
  • At 11:03 PM, Blogger Melli said…

    I don't like Pepperoni -- but I'm thinking the family would LOVE this! I'd take MY serving out just before the pepperoni's go IN! Good idea!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

About Me

Previous Issues

Archives

Having Issues?

Do you have issues?
If so, click here and
tell us about it!

Awards/Webrings

Bloggy Buds

Subscribe

Weblog Visitors

Affiliates



Lillian Vernon Online

TigerDirect

Template Doctored by:
Coastal Data Enterprises