Monday, October 09, 2006
Margie Unplugged
My apologies to my Bloggy Buds for not posting anything new over the weekend. I have a bad case of writer's block which I suppose happens even to the best of us from time to time. Granted I have had many subject ideas but they all seemed to fizzle out in a dark gray raincloud of "blah".

Not so sure why that is. I suspect it could be the political mud slinging in the air or the dark news that has splattered our newspapers for the last two weeks. It seems that depression and mood setting can be quite contagious when it comes to the state of our union, world or even selves.

I asked my Great Grandfather once why he never read the paper or watched the 5 o'clock news. Granted this was way back in the '70's during the Vietnam era. He replied, "It is always bad news. One article, one story at a time darkens each and every bright moment of my day."

This morning these words ring true and I am going to embrace them as sound advice.

Although I still question myself, is it very sound? Many societies in the world today thrive over keeping the majority of their population ignorant. There are still places where women cannot go to school to learn how to read or write all in the attempt to keep the ruling parties in control.

Then there are societies like the Amish, who in my opinion are a wonderful community of people but they choose to isolate themselves from society in order to remain pure and seldom discontented. Maybe that is their secret for their hope and willingness to forgive and turn the other cheek. Why we as a nation felt so drawn into their lives this past week as we watched a community grieve and come together as one in their hardships.

As I do a quick mental review of my immediate neighborhood there are too many personal hardships for me to even count or describe here in this post this morning. Yet, here I was all week watching, reading and worrying over events half a world away. Such as will North Korea's little piss-ant go through with his nuke testing? Will the Taliban join in Afghanistan's government? Are gas prices falling just because it is nearing election time? I wanna see a photo of Paris Hilton's black eye!

While all the while I have a neighbor who could use a bowl of chicken noodle soup. Why won't I budge? It's not like they need help raising a barn or anything strenuous like that.

Perhaps, maybe yes... hope and bright moments can be found in the simple tasks and moments of our days.
Stumble It! .......posted by Margaret @ 11:57 AM  
16 Comments:
  • At 2:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Yup, I agree with you. These days you really have to wonder what is really going on and why things happen. I just keep hoping for better news everyday. I'm still waiting...

     
  • At 5:03 PM, Blogger QUASAR9 said…

    Hi Margie, thanks for the visit from Dr John's marathon

     
  • At 5:06 PM, Blogger QUASAR9 said…

    Amish, who in my opinion are a wonderful community of people but they choose to isolate themselves from society in order to remain pure and seldom discontented. Maybe that is their secret for their hope and willingness to forgive and turn the other cheek. Why we as a nation felt so drawn into their lives this past week as we watched a community grieve and come together as one in their hardships.

    I think the Amish Community comment was awesome after their tragic loss:
    "We want No Revenge, Not in the Name of God, Not in the Name of Christ, Not in the Name of our little girls..."

    Wishing you a mighty fine day

     
  • At 8:41 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I liked this post. You are clearly and insightful and an intelligent person.

    I really like what you had to say about the Amish community.

     
  • At 12:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for stopping by the blog Margaret, come back again and have another visit, there is so much to see.

    Have a wonderful week

     
  • At 8:00 AM, Blogger Deepak Gopi said…

    Every news paper and t.v channel are
    competing with each other to display more and more violence.

     
  • At 8:05 AM, Blogger Kat Campbell said…

    If we, as a people, would petition for balanced news to our newspapers and television stations, all of us would have fewer overwhelmed days like this. Bad news sells, we have to teach them differently.

     
  • At 8:06 AM, Blogger Tina Dray said…

    Hi, thanks for the visit!

     
  • At 8:29 AM, Blogger -atomik kitten said…

    There are a lot of folks that just sit. They just sit when a neighbor is sick (I am just as guilty of this as anyone LOL). They just sit during election time. They just sit (and run their mouths) during war time. Everyone has an opinion (at least most people) but no one wants to do anything about it. Everyone in society views themselves as something special since we have how many 24 hour news channels?

     
  • At 8:42 AM, Blogger Me said…

    All I'm seeing these days from fellow bloggers is cases and cases of writers block. Feel free to take a longer break when nessary people, we'll be back irregardless! And on that note, good to see you back Ms Margie.

    :)

     
  • At 10:03 AM, Blogger jafabrit said…

    Dr. john sent me this way. I know what you mean about the news, but I can't stop reading about what is going on around the world, even when it is sad or bad.

    I so agree with you when you say:"Perhaps, maybe yes... hope and bright moments can be found in the simple tasks and moments of our days"


    all the best
    jafabrit

     
  • At 10:07 AM, Blogger High Power Rocketry said…

    : )

     
  • At 6:35 PM, Blogger Carlos said…

    The news can be a downer at times. Maybe that's why I've been sucking at blogging and visiting my blogger buds.

    Personally I wish the media would revisit the criteria they use to decide which senseless crimes they choose to carry. Each day I grow more and more weary of the sensationalism in the media.

     
  • At 9:37 PM, Blogger B.R.L said…

    I agree that the news has been so bad and sad. The Amish gave such a great example of forgiveness.
    Just a bit of good news I heard there was a young girl who made bracelets of beads to raise money for breast cancer prevention. I guess I am doing the marathon but not sure.

     
  • At 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My take on the Amish is, we could all live in such a community, if we could just learn to follow the Golden Rule. Silly dream, but it's mine!

     
  • At 5:42 AM, Blogger Chrixean said…

    Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment. I've added you to my Thankful Thursday list. Looking forward to seeing your post :-)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

About Me

Previous Issues

Archives

Having Issues?

Do you have issues?
If so, click here and
tell us about it!

Awards/Webrings

Bloggy Buds

Subscribe

Weblog Visitors

Affiliates



Lillian Vernon Online

TigerDirect

Template Doctored by:
Coastal Data Enterprises