Wednesday, June 21, 2006
13 Reasons to dig or not to dig.
Last Thursday I posted the 13 possibilities that could be the perpetrator of the strange bearded apparition that keeps appearing on my doggy door flap. The legend of Blackbeard the Pirate has been brought to my attention and I am now considering excavating my back patio and going on an archaeological dig to find Blackbeards buried treasure.

Here are 13 reasons why I should and why I shouldn't take up my shovel and start digging:

1. It is widely believed that Blackbeard also used the Georgia coast, where its meandering tidal rivers, inlets, and barrier islands served as excellent hiding places. He and his crew would quickly strike at ships then retreat to hide. It is believed that somewhere on Georgias barrier islands is buried treasure.

2. We are located between two Georgia coastal tidal rivers; the Moon and the Vernon Rivers.

3. It is said that Blackbeards headless ghost guards his treasure. Since the apparition appears only to be the head of something or somebody - the rest of his ghostly figure could be haunting under my back patio! Yikes!

4. Pirates, outlaws and outcasts were among coastal dwellers in Georgia. The Pirates House in Savannah is reputed to have some lurking in its attic and in the old tunnel once used to shanghai drugged sailors. (Their Peach Ice Cream Pie is fantastic too!)

6. Edward "Blackbeard" Teach made a home on Blackbeard Island located south of Savannah. No treasure has been found there, then again - why would Blackbeard bury his booty in the most obvious place; his home?

7. Perhaps no other city in this country is as haunted as Savannah. Beneath this city's romantic facade lies a multitude of eerie tales. From pirates that still reside in the Pirates' House Restaurant, the angry spirit who haunts the Shrimp Factory restaurant, the strange happenings in the house of Jim Williams--the central character in the book Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil--and many other spooky stories.

8. Long before the city of Savannah was established there was still human activity going on in the area. Infamous historical figures such as Blackbeard regularly used the Savannah area as a rest stop and as access to the Americas.

9. Savannah's spirit belongs to sea and pirates and privateers, freebooters and buccaneers are part of the maritime tradition of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.

11. Most of the pirated Merchant ships carried little, if any, actual treasure. They usually hauled cargo such as grain, molasses and kegs of rum. Could there be kegs buried under my patio?!

12. When asked if his wife knew where he had buried his treasure, Blackbeard bellowed that nobody but he "...and the Devil knew where it was buried and the longest liver shall take it." Ah ha, so that explains the song "The Devil went down to Georgia, he was looking for a soul to steal." Double Yikes!

13. Yet on one of Blackbeard's trips he decided to hide a portion of his loot. To safeguard this treasure he left his woman behind. Whether she was his actual wife or merely one of a long line of women he had and discarded is a source of controversy. But, from all accounts she had feelings for Teach and he must have trusted her to some degree or he wouldn't have given her the whereabouts of the treasure. Many have claimed to see an apparition wandering the island crying, "He will come back." Maybe she is tired of waiting for him to return or she found out about the 'other women' and is trying to tell me something?


Shovel or no Shovel? - I'll let my readers decide.

Stumble It! .......posted by Margaret @ 5:39 PM  
14 Comments:
  • At 8:16 PM, Blogger Norma said…

    I didn't know that about Savannah! Sounds like an exciting, mysterious place. My TT is up.

     
  • At 8:34 PM, Blogger astrocoz said…

    Ok, I want to visit Savannah now.

    I say, "DIG! DIG! DIG!" If you find nothing, there are crazier things you could have done and you've got a pretty reasonable defense for it.

    My TT is up.

     
  • At 9:53 PM, Blogger Lisa said…

    Might you do some research at the records building before digging?

    Although, honestly, it sounds like a fun adventure. Be sure to make a followup 13 on what you chose and how it went and if you found any heads or anything gross like that! hehe

    Thanks for stopping by Snarkypants!

     
  • At 11:51 PM, Blogger Christina said…

    Hmmmmm...your post makes me intrigued about Savannah. I think that digging sounds like it could be an exciting adventure for you.

    My T13 is up :)

     
  • At 11:58 PM, Blogger YellowRose said…

    I've only been to Savannah once and we went to a haunted resturant...Loved it! I say dig! Why not, who knows what you may find! Stranger things have happened!

    Happy Thursday! My TT is up!!

     
  • At 12:59 AM, Blogger Cricket said…

    Fun. Fun. Fun.

    Dig for all it's worth.

    I used to live near Savannah and you brought back some wonderful memories. Used to love the mud pie at the Pirate's House Restaurant.

    I wonder if pirate ghosts frequent Kevin Barry's Irish Pub?

     
  • At 8:19 AM, Blogger One Scrappy Gal said…

    I live an hour or so from Savannah!! You've got me all curious now! :)

     
  • At 9:00 AM, Blogger Darla said…

    Oh, dig, definitely! I want to see the TT of what you find when you do. :)

     
  • At 9:58 AM, Blogger One Scrappy Gal said…

    BTW I was born and raised in the Bronx, NYC and currently live in Summerville, SC!! It's a small world, huh? Went to Savannah not too long ago to try out The Lady and Sons restaurant but the line was around the block! Will have to return again soon.

     
  • At 10:08 AM, Blogger jen said…

    I never knew that about savannah either, but every city has some kind of tale... I hope you post a follow up to what you find!

     
  • At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    DIG! I wanna find out what happens! Tell us about it afterwards.

    tnx for dropping by my 13. :)

     
  • At 2:51 PM, Blogger Carmen said…

    my sister lives in Savannah, I'll have to visit and help you dig. :)

     
  • At 9:31 PM, Blogger Lady Jane said…

    I love Pirates! :) And I have always wanted to visit Georgia! I don't know if you should dig or not. :)

    My list is here.

     
  • At 1:31 PM, Blogger Seamus O'Conley said…

    sorry, my name isn't really seamus, but thanks for stopping by

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

About Me

Previous Issues

Archives

Having Issues?

Do you have issues?
If so, click here and
tell us about it!

Awards/Webrings

Bloggy Buds

Subscribe

Weblog Visitors

Affiliates



Lillian Vernon Online

TigerDirect

Template Doctored by:
Coastal Data Enterprises