Tuesday, May 02, 2006
Cockroaches!
"La cucaracha, la cucaracha
Ya no puede caminar
Porque no tiene, porque le falta
Marijuana que fumar."

Growing up I heard about them and even sang about them, but never met one face to face. My Grandmother (what a hoot she was) who used to live in one of those Senior Citizen Apartment Complexes, would out of the blue - hop on her sofa and cuss like a sailor because she saw one. It was terrible, shoes flying everywhere aiming for a bug that I never did get a chance to see.

Then I moved down South to Georgia. They say Georgia's state bird is the Mosquito but I'm left to question, which one? There are about 30 different varieties of the blood sucking buzzer. Sand Gnats are another terrible swarm of teeny things that will eat you alive out of nowhere. Jiggers, ticks, wasps, bees, and this abnormally they call "fire ants."

If my Basset Hounds could blog - they'd sure have a lot to say about flea season down here.

Then there are the cockroaches, 7 different breeds of them each more creepier than the next. American, Asian, Cuban, German, Oriental, Smokybrown and the huge flying stinky nasty Palmetto Bug. Here in Georgia everyone battles them although the richer folks would rather say they have "water bugs". Same creepy bug just a different regal name to make them appear less dirty.

Dirt does matter for the less dirt and crumbs you have in your home, the less they'll have to eat. But these nasty little critters even have taste-buds for glue. Wallpapering your home is out of the question, a box of envelopes must be sealed in a plastic ziploc and it's best not to venture into buying any furniture that's glued together or own a library of glue-bound books. These things sniff glue out from miles away and will pay a visit - when you least expect them.

Maybe I shouldn't complain as I'm pretty lucky and should be since I spend over $1,000 a year for exterminator services. Either way, the weather is warmer and they're back. I found two mating on the power brick to my cordless phone this morning. I'm not as freaked as Grandmom used to be but they sure have a way of making a young lady cuss.
Stumble It! .......posted by Margaret @ 2:23 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    In Arkansas, they used to be big enough to rope and ride...they had a saying on the flight line...rat tripped them and a roach stole their wallet.

     
  • At 1:57 PM, Blogger LoryKC said…

    I grew up in Florida and thought the palmetto bugs were bad until I went to college in New Orleans!

    I never found two on my phone but the day I found one on my toothbrush was not my best day.
    (What you heard was not a voice in your head---it was cussing from a stranger a few states away!!!)

    (Later we moved to Alaska where the mosquito reigns as state bird, too!)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

About Me

Previous Issues

Archives

Having Issues?

Do you have issues?
If so, click here and
tell us about it!

Awards/Webrings

Bloggy Buds

Subscribe

Weblog Visitors

Affiliates



Lillian Vernon Online

TigerDirect

Template Doctored by:
Coastal Data Enterprises