Sunday, March 16, 2008
Spiritual awakening vs. born again
-Many Christians believe it's necessary to be "born again" in order to go to heaven. Others -- Christian and other faiths-- don't wholly support that but do believe that spiritual awakening has to occur to fully understand one's faith.

They can be intense experiences. In this week leading up to Easter, anyone dare to share?

I was born again at the age of 12. Although raised in church and by a wonderful Christian Mother, the actual experience didn't happen at Confirmation nor even in church itself. I knew the story and went through all the motions with my Sunday School classmates in front of the congregation - but my heart wasn't in it then.

No, it happened late one evening as a scared, confused and emotional twelve-year-old tween was laying in bed praying for an ounce of hope. There are too many factors to mention here, so to make a long story short - I truly found in my heart a way to be re-born and anew.

Now, just because one is "born again" doesn't mean they continue life without sin or making huge mistakes. For me it was the awareness of conscious and having a higher authority to answer to. Such as those many times I did misbehave behind my parents back and never was caught.

Like many, I made spur of the moment decisions and acted on selfish desires without thinking of the costs. Thankfully, having been born again allowed me to focus after the fact. To apologize to the Lord and readjust my behaviors. In other words, I learned a lesson after each goof.

Today I'm 28 years old in Christ. During these years there has been a number of times when I had an epiphany or spiritual awakening. Some have been triggered by simple events and some initiated by tragedy. Each seemingly giving me an insight or direction within my own life.

For me, getting to heaven isn't earned - it's the gift of life experienced. Like a little girl in her Grandmother's attic dressing up in an old wedding dress 12 sizes too big...

We each have to grow into it.

Stumble It! .......posted by Margaret @ 1:21 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At 1:46 AM, Blogger Lone Grey Squirrel said…

    I come from a nominal Buddhist family. We didn't really understand the religion but we went through the motions as the family was Buddhist. My sister became a Christian first and I could see a big change in her life (for example she did not bully me as much after that). I could see that there was a God who could change her life.

    Later, I would make that prayer to become a Christian several times but there was no power of change and transformation. Finally, God prompted me to say that prayer one more time but this time He spoke clearly to me that I had asked only for His help and protection but had always never surrendered myself in obedience to Him. In other words, I wanted my "get out of jail free" card but wanted to still live my life the way i wanted.

    It was only when I surrendered myself to Him at the age of 13 that I experienced His transforming power and was "born again". As you said, that doesn't make me sinless. I still sin but I have the power to change and to turn away from sin, bit by bit and more each day.

    Being born again can only be experienced and once experienced , is all the proof we need for a Living, loving God.

    Thanks for sharing and giving us an opportunity to share.

     
  • At 7:09 AM, Blogger Deepak Gopi said…

    Hi Margie
    Each night we dye ,next day we are born again (it is only my thought)
    I really enjoyed the concept .
    how are you ,hubby and beautiful little daughter?
    enjoy a great week ahed.

     
  • At 7:29 PM, Blogger Dr.John said…

    Thanks for your testimony. Pastor Joann would say its your moment of glory.

     
  • At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The Bible is very clear in John 3 that we must be born again of the Spirit. We are to start on biblical milk and work our way up to the meat.

    We will still stumble along the way, but we have the Lord to help us up and push us on!

     
  • At 5:51 AM, Blogger Ed Mahony said…

    At the end of the day surely isn't it about turning to Christ / The Trinity and saying that He is Lord, everyday of your life (and that without Him we are nothing). And every day turning to Him for forgiveness, protection, support, spirtitual (and physical) nourishment. Forming a loving relationship with Him (and others) that is like steel. So that when we die, we will already be bonded in love with Him. Jesus said greatest commandment is to: Love God and neighbour. God bless.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

About Me

Previous Issues

Archives

Having Issues?

Do you have issues?
If so, click here and
tell us about it!

Awards/Webrings

Bloggy Buds

Subscribe

Weblog Visitors

Affiliates



Lillian Vernon Online

TigerDirect

Template Doctored by:
Coastal Data Enterprises