Sunday, March 02, 2008
Margie Unplugged: Tardive Dyskinesia
Let's see now. Should I finish up some of my blog post drafts and share with you the many creative ways to change an adult in a diaper? How to get a sick and elderly person to eat when they don't want to eat anymore? Maybe I should tell you all about the cat?

It's been a rough week and this week I'm sure won't be much easier. I arrived back to work Monday morning after a relaxing weekend off. Only to find Mrs. IOH sitting there in a chair confused, with her tongue hanging out and her eyes bugged out like we've all seen in that dreaded home video of Terry Shiavo.

The prescription bottle that arrived from the drugstore last Friday contained Haldol. The instructions were simple yet somehow, poor Mrs. IOH was overdosed and was suffering from a condition called tardive dyskinesia.

That entire day she was detoxing and it was so cruel and so uncool. In some cases tardive dyskinesia can be irreversible, but thankfully by Tuesday morning Mrs. IOH was returning to normal with only a few relapses of the symptom. Easily combated after administering some simple Benedryl.

She was back to her normal self come Wednesday night and all set to rumble and fight over one of her nighttime caretakers that she doesn't seem to like. She managed to throw such a wonderful tantrum that when she went to sit down and the chair rolled back from underneath her. Leaving her with a broken hip.

Nobody deserves to be subjected to such a terrible week. I wish I could turn back time and do whatever possible to prevent all of this from happening.

Only as usual, nobody would believe me.
Stumble It! .......posted by Margaret @ 12:44 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At 3:58 PM, Blogger Pribek said…

    Well Margie,
    I like Margie Unplugged.
    You are right when you say "Nobody deserves to be subjected to such a terrible week."

    You don't deserve it but, bless you for for enduring it.
    I have so much respect for people who are care takers. Most, would not have the stomach or backbone to do what you do. But, you know that somebody needs to do it.

    I feel that there is no higher calling than service to others.

    So, respect and admiration to you.

     
  • At 10:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Thank you for reminding us all about what we should not do. Bless you.

     
  • At 5:23 PM, Blogger Dr.John said…

    I assume your talking about the lady with the broken hip having a terrible week. Getting old is not moving into that time which is the best. Like an old car we fall apart piece by piece.

     
  • At 12:54 AM, Blogger Me said…

    Well, damn! That doesn't sound at all like a plesant week.

     
  • At 5:17 PM, Blogger Deech said…

    Margie,

    I thought I did my best to keep murphy away from everyone else. In fact, that is why I have not been around. I thought I was keeping murphy at bay and shoving his law up his A$$.

    But this seems not to be the case. Sorry to hear about your hard week. Hopefully I can get my act together to go spread some demented Joy back on my blog.

    But thanks for keeping your blog going and just keep the faith. It will get better.

    Flyinfox_SATX

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

About Me

Previous Issues

Archives

Having Issues?

Do you have issues?
If so, click here and
tell us about it!

Awards/Webrings

Bloggy Buds

Subscribe

Weblog Visitors

Affiliates



Lillian Vernon Online

TigerDirect

Template Doctored by:
Coastal Data Enterprises