Saturday, December 16, 2006
Cabbage Patch Doll Endangerment
I realized this after visiting some of my Bloggy Buds this morning that I missed dining in Friday's Feast yesterday. One of the questions was, "Did you ever lose something really important to you?" Judy from World of Dreams told us about when she lost a favorite doll she was given for her 3rd birthday. It brought back a host of memories and a funny and weird revelation and feeling of Deja Vu'.

I've mentioned here before that my father was Bergermeister Meisterberger revisited. However I did have a favorite doll that turned up lost once too. I was a senior in High School and it was back in the '80's when the Cabbage Patch Kids were all the rage and peeps stood in line for hours just to buy one outside of department stores everywhere that Christmas season. eBay didn't exist back then and it was a normal site to see a newspaper ad or some crazy guy standing up in the mall taking bids on the coveted Cabbage Patch he was waving about. Some sold for $1,000 or more.

I had this wonderful boyfriend named Jack Horner. (Quit it with the "in the corner" jokes already!) Jack was a cool and hubba hubba kind of guy. He loved airplanes and even had on in his backyard. Jack was awesome plus he had a part time job in a department store. That Christmas due to his inside connections, I was given the cutest little blond haired Cabbage Patch Doll named Katie of all names.

Without my knowledge or permission, Mom would let my little 4 year old sister Diane play with my doll while I was away in school. I caught her one day when I walked home from the bus stop and saw my doll outside sitting on top of the spare tire on the back of my Mom's Ford Bronco. Along with some other dollies and toys on the rear bumper. Diane was taking a nap at the time but I'm sure threw a teenaged hissy fit at my Mom for allowing Diane to play with my doll.

Not many days after, I got off the bus and noticed one of Diane's other dollies smashed in the middle of the road. As I walked home, every few yards or so there was a teacup or a dolly dress and a few other items that I recognized. When I got home, the Bronco was gone and my Cabbage Patch Doll was missing from the pillow on my bed. I hoped and prayed that when Mom came home there will be Diane holding my Doll. But that wasn't the case.

Last week I received a present in the mail from Diane for my 4 year old daughter Katie. I didn't realize until now how cool this is. It is a cabbage patch doll that looks almost just like the one I once had. I don't think my little sister Diane knows the significance and commonalities these situations share. Nor does she remember that dreary day in 1985 when our dollies went for a their fatal joyride. I think I'll call her and share this story after Katie thanks her for the present.
Stumble It! .......posted by Margaret @ 2:41 PM  
8 Comments:
  • At 3:42 PM, Blogger Videos by Professor Howdy said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 4:48 PM, Blogger Margaret said…

    Thanks Thought & Humor for the long dissertation and browser crash.

     
  • At 8:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    HI, thanks for dropping in on my bloggy and commenting. I came over for a visit and loved your blog, pics and stories, very funny!! We started blogging at the same time, March 06!!
    Hope to see you around more often, Austrlia greetings,Hannelie

     
  • At 5:03 AM, Blogger Melli said…

    LOL! I'm sO sorry about your doll! That is just... SAD! MY daughter had a Cabbage Patch Doll! I forget it's name -- but it was something weird! I got her doll from the guy at the Liquor Store! I only paid $30... and I'm pretty sure it was hot! But I never told HER that!!! The guy at the liquor store was a great source! He had Power Rangers a few years later too! OY! Sad, but true....

     
  • At 6:36 AM, Blogger Rowan Dawn said…

    I had two, and I still have them! one was from my uncle who waited four hours to buy dolls for me and my brother and other kids! My sister stole and ruined all of my barbies, the little b*#ch! I know your pain. I can't beleive your mom didn't notice the toys on the car, that is so funny! Cruel fate, lol!

     
  • At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Poor Cabbage Patch doll..
    Did your Mom say anything about the toys or did she pretend it never happened..

     
  • At 11:12 AM, Blogger Margaret said…

    Happy and Blue: Mom was upset but couldn't really do much. She couldn't punish Diane who was playing in the backyard. The Bronco was always backed up in the driveway and the back faced the swingset and play area. It was a shelf of sorts for a 4 year old's imagination. Mom getting into the Bronco through the front didn't see that there was a Dolly congregation all over the back and drove off. Mom felt guilty I'm sure. But looking back as a Mom myself - I can see how this happened.

     
  • At 12:59 PM, Blogger -atomik kitten said…

    I had two of them. I got my first one when I turned five. She had brown hair. Her name was Edie George (on the birth certificate). I had her until I was about 20. I gave her to my niece - who still has her. I played with it so much that it was forever stained from Oklahoma red dirt.

    I got my second one when I turned nine. My aunt Sandy bought me one of the "preemie" ones. He smelled like baby powder and had a pacifier. His name was Elijah something or other.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

About Me

Previous Issues

Archives

Having Issues?

Do you have issues?
If so, click here and
tell us about it!

Awards/Webrings

Bloggy Buds

Subscribe

Weblog Visitors

Affiliates



Lillian Vernon Online

TigerDirect

Template Doctored by:
Coastal Data Enterprises