Tuesday, March 13, 2007
Tinfoil Chef: "Tomato & Ham Croquettes"
Welcome again to "Tinfoil Chef " where I'd like to feature healthy recipes for square meals on meager pockets. This was a recipe of my late ex-Mother-in-law who frequently made these Greek inspired tasty croquettes since the depression to serve a very large family.

My first reaction, as with all canned meat products was to run for the hills. But after politely attending supper one evening I was very amazed at the light yet robust flavor packed into these incredible delicacies. Great served warm with a side of Lipton noodles or over a green veggie. Just as great cold, as in next day leftovers topped with a slice of cheese and a spread of mayo.

- 1 can of Spam (spiced ham)
- 2 - 12 oz cans of whole tomatoes.
- 2 sleeves of crushed saltine crackers.
- 1 egg

In a large bowl flake spiced ham (Spam) with a fork. When done add in 1 egg, 2 cans of whole tomatoes with juice and crush two sleeves of saltine crackers. With clean hands dig in and mush everything together, squeezing the tomatoes and incorporating everything into a well blended mixture.

Preheat a non-stick skillet with a tad of oil on medium heat and drop the mixture by the heaping spoonful, doing about 3-4 at a time. Let brown on one side for about 4 minutes, then flip to brown the other side for another 4 minutes. Serves: 8-10

Total Cost: $3.47
approximately .43 cents per person.
Prep Time: 20 minutes

Labels:

Stumble It! .......posted by Margaret @ 8:53 AM  
5 Comments:
  • At 11:41 AM, Blogger Melli said…

    Ohhhh mOre power to youuuuu! My mother used to serve spam... it gags me. I'd rather eat LIVER! I think it's one of those things that ya either love it, or ya find it completely intolerable! ;)

     
  • At 7:10 PM, Blogger Dr.John said…

    I am allergic to tomatoes and I don't like spam but the egg and crackers are okay.

     
  • At 8:13 PM, Blogger drëâmè® said…

    Ah you're so smart and economic. I love tomatoes. I can just eat them like apples. =D

     
  • At 12:30 AM, Blogger Deepak Gopi said…

    :)good night

     
  • At 1:17 PM, Blogger Butchie said…

    I actually like Spam. Mmmmmm.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

About Me

Previous Issues

Archives

Having Issues?

Do you have issues?
If so, click here and
tell us about it!

Awards/Webrings

Bloggy Buds

Subscribe

Weblog Visitors

Affiliates



Lillian Vernon Online

TigerDirect

Template Doctored by:
Coastal Data Enterprises