Friday, August 31, 2007
A Decade of Angels (Chapter One)
Strangely, 10 years ago today in fact I made the decision to move here to Savannah. Princess Di had just traumatically died and I remember thinking how sad that was.

I also married young back in the '80's around the same time she hooked up with Prince "Big Ears" Charles. My husband had smaller ears and wasn't bad in the sense of being an abuser or anything, but he was controlling and a cheater to boot.

Through the years with Princess Di in the limelight, and I in the shadows we suffered depression for years. The only difference was that I never stood up for myself to do anything about it. I felt so stuck and very unhappy. At the time of her death, I was about to turn 30 and decided right then and there - I was going to get out of my situation and get happy.

Why Savannah? Well, moving a few towns over in New Jersey wasn't going to work. I tried that before and was hunted down and sniffed out by my husband. My family? Well I love them but as far as support goes - there wasn't any. I recalled coming to Savannah when on a college field trip to study Flannery O'Connor and how much I loved it here.

I left on my 30th Birthday. Packed my car, tore off the rear view mirror and made the drive down I-95. My Mom was worried sick the entire time. I only had $60 and left my husband everything just wanting a clean break. I arrived at the Mission in Downtown Savannah and landed jobs fast with Wal-mart and also with HomeMaid. In two weeks I had my apartment. Unfurnished, but I didn't care. Finally, for once, I was happy and free with my whole life ahead of me.

Working with HomeMaid was only supposed to be temporary. I wanted to get back into teaching but it didn't work out that way. In a few weeks the owner called me aside and told me that she was leaving Georgia for New Orleans and asked if I wanted the business. Yuk. But then I looked at the income figures and compared that to a teachers salary here - and it was much better. The "bankers hours" also have been very nice. Plus, gosh... how often does someone just hand over a thriving business to a person they've just met? Not often can someone find such an opportunity just waiting for the taking. So I took it. Literally. (Apologies to Mark for my selfish snagging of said opportunity.)

That's when I met Mr. and Mrs. "Isles of Hope". Mrs. IOH was a trip. She was concerned over the business switching hands and was adamant about lots of things. No cleanser in the tubs, no new people in and out of her house every week, the kitchen floors and the whole "check for dust with white glove routine.". I promised her that either Linda (an employee at that time) or myself personally, would clean her house and nobody else.

In this business of housecleaning it is very difficult NOT to get to know your customers on a personal level. Believe me, I tried many times not to, but when you're in peep's homes all kinds of things pop out at you. Scary things like sex toys jumping out from the sheets to marijuana growing in the broom closet. Things so weird that they encouraged me to start firing quite a few customers. Except Mr. & Mrs. IOH. They only had the coolest, classic books of literature on their shelves jumping out at me.

As Mr. & Mrs. IOH became comfortable with me, they would tell me stories of their past 75 years. From the great Long Island Hurricane (that I've heard a dozen times over by now) to growing up on a farm in Ohio and going to a one room schoolhouse with only one teacher.

One of my very favorite stories was before Halloween when I mentioned what is known, at least in New Jersey, as "Mischief Night". Mrs. IOH never heard of such a thing. She was dreadfully appalled by the concept of toilet papering and soaping neighbors houses in the dark of night. Mr. IOH, however - chuckled and told us about how he and his friends used to tip over outhouses while people were still sitting in them - on mischief night in Ohio.

The gasp that came from Mrs. IOH after hearing of this, brought us both to tears of laughter. Thus began a different kind of relationship, where I no longer considered that I was only supposed to be there for 1 1/2 hours to clean their home. To charge them $35 and be on my way. Eventually the 1 1/2 hours turned to 2, then 3 and sometimes four. It didn't matter, for they gave to me more than I could ever give to them by the precious time they spent with me...

....to be continued.

Labels:

Stumble It! .......posted by Margaret @ 10:30 AM  
5 Comments:
  • At 11:56 AM, Blogger Deech said…

    Margie,

    First off, welcome back! I have missed your blogs. I know that you have visited mine and I thank you for that. I had no idea you were a Jersey girl! I grew up most of my life in Elizabeth NJ...go figure, its a small world.

    I am happy that you have taken a deep breath here. Your story about Mrs IOH is very intriguing. Thanks for sharing....and I thought I mentioned it before but I will say it again, welcome back!

    Flyinfox_SATX

     
  • At 12:21 PM, Blogger Dr.John said…

    I wanted to be the first to welcome you back. Welcome back . I have missed your blog entries. I hope you are feeling more alive and joyful, It is interesting to read of your past.

     
  • At 8:53 PM, Blogger Margaret said…

    Thanks guys. Working long hours and not blogging is very unusual for me.

    So is having a messy house.

    Hoping to get on top of things soon.

     
  • At 4:53 AM, Blogger Evalinn said…

    What a great post, I love it. I know about clean break, I agree that can be the best. People get upset how much I left to my ex, but I just wanted out quickly and easily, so that I could start living my life. And it was worth it!

    Looking forward to the continuation!

     
  • At 8:30 AM, Blogger Woozie said…

    Sex toys and marijuana, wow. What possessed these people, especially the pot people, to call HomeMaid and ask them to clean their drug laden house?

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

About Me

Previous Issues

Archives

Having Issues?

Do you have issues?
If so, click here and
tell us about it!

Awards/Webrings

Bloggy Buds

Subscribe

Weblog Visitors

Affiliates



Lillian Vernon Online

TigerDirect

Template Doctored by:
Coastal Data Enterprises