Wednesday, November 01, 2006
Who's Button Should I Push?
Oh alright, I gots to blog and that is hard to do when your mind is bogged down with political crap and big voting choices to make within the next week. I usually avoid sharing my political opinions here because I consider political views to be private. There is a reason why we pull close the curtain over at the polling booths and it isn't because we want to be popular.

So which side am I on? I am not affiliated with either party because quite frankly, I don't like the game. Especially when the game pawns the lives of my neighbors, friends, family and even myself. It doesn't matter who you are, what you are or whether or not you vote. If you are in America you will be moved by the Players on many issues.

For the next few days I'm going to make a sad attempt to decipher the game and exhume myself out from under the mound of bullshit that has been piled upon me for the last 2 years. Keep in mind this isn't an attempt to steer anyone's votes or thoughts and I am not campaigning for anything. Complaining may be more like it. Today I'll hit on the Abortion, Stem Cell Research and that whole bucket of worms.

I am anti-abortion when it applies to my choices but that doesn't mean that I allow myself to nudge in on the choices of others. As a person who battled infertility for many years I will honestly state that there is a selfish desire to want more babies available for adoption. However, being infertile I could have sought the services of an infertility clinic and had a few dozen embryos stored somewhere. I certainly don't want a dozen children and I didn't allow myself to be selfish with what I perceive to be "life" just to have a baby or two. What would I do with the other embryos after my wish had been granted?

There you have, it I consider life to be precious to those who have it, hold it or are about to loose it. I am not for banning abortion or stem cell research but I am for taking a careful approach on the fragile line that determines life or death for anyone. I feel late term or partial birth abortions is pushing that line unless the mother's life is in peril. Habitual abortions for those who employ this method as birth control are out of line with my beliefs. Which are that everyone should be encouraged and empowered to make responsible choices regarding their own lives and embrace respect for the life of another.

The promises of Stem Cell research on terminal illness and disease are incredible. I have no doubt. We have lost many geniuses, minds and lives of wonderful people due to health issues. Saving life is wonderful and we should embrace the knowledge and opportunity. We shouldn't just throw away the embryos that couples collect in petri-dishes week after week. There in lies the current administrations stance. "Use these resources available." They didn't say "No!" or "Absolutely not!" Each year there are many embryos that would otherwise be thrown away because Peeps don't want a dozen kids. Use them, however keep a fine line there and do not go out and harvest embryos for this purpose only. Give and keep giving life a chance whether it is the life of the unborn or the life of a beloved family member who is ill. Give life a chance to become what it may and don't cross any line predestining a life's purpose. Leave it to chance. To me, that is the safest bet.

I suppose on these issues, today I am a Republican. Don't worry - there is always tomorrow and another issue that could very well pull me in the other direction.
Stumble It! .......posted by Margaret @ 11:59 AM  
8 Comments:
  • At 6:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Glad to hear from you again! Not that I didn't like the funny pics...
    By the way I COMPLETELY agree with you on these issues.%

     
  • At 10:39 PM, Blogger drëâmè® said…

    "...everyone should be encouraged and empowered to make responsible choices regarding their own lives and embrace respect for the life of another."

    You're amazing =)
    & I agree.

     
  • At 10:46 PM, Blogger Big Mama said…

    Wow, you write so eloquently. I have thought the same thing and couldn't quite verbalize it. Well said.

     
  • At 9:35 AM, Blogger -atomik kitten said…

    Hey - remember the site that I told you about the other day...that called pro-lifers "anti-choicers"? Someone told me that I was anti-choice when I took the boys TTing on Main St. on Halloween. I went back to my, "Oh no, you have me all wrong. I support choice: keeping your legs shut, birth control, adoption...lots of choices - just not murder." AND I got to use my definition of oppression. LOL

    I am doing some political research myself today. Seems like lots of the idiots, I mean politicians were on Main st. giving out candy to the kids and were awful interested in me when Bobo said, "My mom's not a republican or a democrat. She thinks for herself." ROTFLOL

    YOU GO 'HEAD GIRL!

     
  • At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am against abortion too...

     
  • At 8:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I really enjoyed this post. You express yourself very eloquently.

     
  • At 6:48 AM, Blogger Deepak Gopi said…

    :)Excellent

     
  • At 5:32 AM, Blogger Me said…

    I don't know enough about stem cell research to have a stance but it isn't that big a deal in Australia. The state of Victoria (there are six states in total) have demanded that the federal government enable stem cell research across the nation or to go it alone (states and territories set their own laws). That was a little while ago now, don't know what happened with that.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
 

About Me

Previous Issues

Archives

Having Issues?

Do you have issues?
If so, click here and
tell us about it!

Awards/Webrings

Bloggy Buds

Subscribe

Weblog Visitors

Affiliates



Lillian Vernon Online

TigerDirect

Template Doctored by:
Coastal Data Enterprises